Chapter 161

Katie Bell was removed to St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries the following day, by which time the news that she had been cursed had spread all over the school, though the details were confused.

Jenna was surprised to hear that Harry insisted it was Draco Malfoy who had given Katie the necklace, but Ron and Hermione wouldn't have it.

Although Harry was bound to forget about the matter of Malfoy at the moment as yet another fight separated his two best friends, but this time it was more gruesome than ever before that made him wonder whether they would ever become friends again.

After the Quidditch match between Gryffindor and Slytherin, Ron had brought victory to their team, and ended up kissing Lavender Brown the same night.

Jenna knew that there always had been unspoken feelings between Ron and Hermione, but she never expected her to be so heartbroken over it. She had no idea Hermione had liked him this much.

Over the years, Jenna had grown closer to Hermione, and there was a motherly feeling she felt toward the girl. It always made Jenna think that if she'r had a daughter back then, she would be around the same age as Hermione.

Jenna wanted to be there for her, to offer her a warm hug or words of comfort, or even to tell her how much of an idiot boys could be sometimes. But she never had the chance, because the dormitory or the common room always seemed to be occupied by someone.

Although Jenna was glad that Hermione had found a new friendship with Lexi, and the two seemed to be spending a lot of their time together. They even went to Slughorn's suppers together, and Hermione made her study they way Lily used to do with Jenna.

"Tonight was at least better than the last one," said Hermione earnestly one night after she and Lexi had returned from Slughorn's office.

     They both took their seats in the common room and sat beside each other, chatting on the couch with Crookshanks purring next to them, curled up against one of the cushions.

"Yeah, it wasn't too bad," Lexi agreed, nodding. "I was really glad to meet a famous Quidditch player up-close. I mean, I know I'm not a fan of flying, but I still love Quidditch. We met the captain of the Holyhead Harpies, for God's sake!"

Jenna listened in, her attention caught.

"She seemed a bit full of herself, though, didn't she?" Hermione mused.

"A little." Lexi shrugged. "She's only a few years older than Sirius... do you think he knew Gwenog Jones personally back in his Hogwarts days?"

Crookshanks's yellow eyes widened at the mention of the name.

"Dunno, maybe —"

But her words were cut off when Crookshanks made an angry hissing sound and grumpily jumped off the couch.

"What's the matter with your cat?" Lexi raised a brow, watching the ginger fur ball walk away.

Hermione just chuckled. "Yeah... she can sometimes be sensitive like that."

***

To Jenna's great delight, the Christmas break was shortly upon them, which meant that she could go back home, see Sirius, and most importantly, finally meet Harry — unless something was going to go wrong again.

    Maybe the universe has conspired against me, Jenna thought to herself grimly, even though she didn't believe in such things.

    The train ride back to King's Cross station seemed to be taking longer than usual, and Crookshanks was growing tired in her cat basket from all those tiresome hours.

    Jenna finally got a taste of freedom when they arrived at the Grangers' house and Hermione let the cat out at night, just like they had planned, so Jenna could go back home.

"Take care," Jenna whispered, bringing Hermione into a hug.

"You too," said Hermione, secretly wishing that Jenna could stay a bit longer, but she didn't say it out loud.

"Merry Christmas," said Jenna with a grin as she pulled away, and Hermione waved her goodbye.

     It was late at night and the sky was as dark as it could get, the moon covered by the grey clouds. Thus, making it the perfect opportunity to sneak out, and finally go back home. With her wand in her hand, Jenna Disapparated the moment she stepped outside of the Granger's house.

    The next moment, Jenna felt the world spinning around her until her feet hit the ground again. When she looked up, she found herself before the Potter Manor. Immediately, a little smile crept through her face, resting on her pink lips. She had missed everything about this place.

     All the lights in the house seemed to be off. Considering the late hour, Jenna simply assumed that Sirius was probably asleep already. So, as quietly as she could, Jenna opened the door to the house and walked inside.

     She looked around the dim hallway. That was when she saw a little light flickering from the direction of the kitchen. Immediately, her heart started beating rapidly. Jenna knew that it could've just been Sirius, but she couldn't help but to worry.

     With careful steps, she slowly walked toward the kitchen, trying to go on silently. Her cloak's hood drawn over her head and her wand in her hand, Jenna approached the kitchen, stopping for a moment to see if she could hear anything from inside. But the house was drowned in a silence so eerie that set her teeth on edge.

    Holding her breath, Jenna took the next step forward and tilted her head to take a glimpse inside. But the next moment she let out a loud gasp when someone who was hiding behind the kitchen's wall suddenly leapt forward, grabbed her both wrists and forcefully tied her hands behind her back, slamming her face-forward against the wall.