Chapter 57

After they had finished reading the letter, a silence fell between Sirius and Jenna, neither of them knowing what they were supposed to say as they stared into distance, both lost in their own thoughts.

"What do you think this means, Sirius?" Jenna broke the silence, speaking in a hollow tone. "You don't think Voldemort is actually anywhere near him, do you?"

"No... I don't think so..." Sirius muttered thoughtfully, rereading the letter for what felt like the hundredth time.

"This was a mistake," Jenna said hastily, getting to her feet as she started to pace around anxiously. "I shouldn't have left him in the first place."

"Jenna, he's safe at the moment," Sirius try to reason with her comfortingly. "Remember what Dumbledore told you? As long as he's at Lily's sister's house, he'll be safe. A powerful magic is protecting him."

"This can't be a good sign, Sirius, and you know it." She stopped walking, breathing rapidly as she turned to look back at him, the concern visible in her hazel eyes. "There's something wrong... even Dumbledore knows it."

"Dumbledore?" Sirius raised a curious brow at her. "What do you mean?"

"Look, last time I went into the Wizarding village nearby to buy something for us to eat, there were a few English warlocks at the pub and I overheard their conversation," she started to explain. "They were talking about rumors they had heard, saying that Dumbledore had asked Moody to come out of retirement and had convinced him to teach at Hogwarts this year, as their new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

"Alastor Moody!?" Sirius repeated in disbelief, his eyes widening in shock.

"How many other Moodys do you know?" she said sarcastically.

"I'm just surprised, that's all," he mused. "I mean... Moody was an Auror. He couldn't care less about teaching. He was mental and paranoid even back then, when we were in the Order of the Phoenix. What's Dumbledore playing at, bringing him to Hogwarts to teach the kids?"

"That's exactly my point." She nodded. "I thought these were just rumors, but perhaps Dumbledore has sensed that something's wrong as well. Maybe that's why he wants Moody at Hogwarts this year, to keep an eye on everything."

"We should tell Dumbledore about Harry's scar," Sirius suggested. "He might have an idea about what's going on."

"Well, what should we do about Harry? He's our priority at the moment." Jenna said worriedly. "Sirius, you need to write to him. And I'll have to leave as soon as possible, now that this has happened —"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up." Sirius shook his hands at her impatiently. "I'm coming too."

"I beg your pardon?" Jenna folded her arms at him.

"He's my Godson too!" he reasoned. "You can't expect me to stay here."

"Look, if something really is wrong, then someone has to get to Harry immediately. And between you and me, only one of us has the power to transform into a random person and use the Floo Network in the Wizarding town to get back to England. But you can't use the Floo Network until your name is cleared. There's a big chance the whole Wizarding community know what you look like."

"Fine. You go with the Floo Network and get to Harry as soon as possible," Sirius finally said in defeat. "But I'll be flying north with Buckbeak right after you leave, no matter how long it's going to take to get back."

"Sirius, it's not just that!" Jenna huffed in frustration. "It's not safe for you to come back to Hogwarts!"

"Look, Harry needs us, just like you said it yourself! Besides, what's the damn point of staying here if you're not going to be with me!?"

Jenna fell silent, her expression softening. She then sighed, running a hand through her hair as she pondered the matter further.

"Fine," she finally muttered under her breath after a long pause. "We'll wait until Hedwig is well-fed and is fully rested, and then we'll send Harry a letter. I'll leave afterwards by the Floo Network, and you can fly back north with Buckbeak. You can keep our Extensional Box with everything inside it. You'll need it."

So as Jenna went back inside the tent to get Hedwig some water and something to eat, Sirius took out a parchment and quill, and quickly started writing a letter hurriedly.

Harry,

I'm flying north immediately. This news about your scar is the latest in a series of strange rumors that have reached me here.

If it hurts again, go straight to Dumbledore — they're saying he's got Mad-Eye out of retirement, which means he's reading the signs, even if no one else is.

I'll be in touch soon. My best to Ron and Hermione. Keep your eyes open, Harry.

After they were sure that Hedwig was fully rested and ready again for yet another long journey, they gave her the letter and so the snowy owl flew away with it.

"I guess this is goodbye..." Jenna said quietly, giving Sirius a sad smile. But he didn't return it.

"Yeah," he mumbled curtly, not even bothering to look back up at her.

"Hey," she whispered, walking forward and cupping his face in her hands softy, making him to look back at her. "We'll see each other soon."

But Sirius only rolled his eyes bitterly and looked away. So as a last attempt to cheer him up, Jenna caught him off guard when she suddenly brought him into a passionate kiss, wrapping her arms around his neck.

Sirius had no chance to protest. So feeling a groan escape his throat at the suddenness of the kiss, he finally wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her closer to him as he deepened the kiss.

When they both pulled apart to catch their breaths, Sirius pressed his forehead against hers, whispering, "You drive me crazy, Jenny."

She smiled, looking back up at him and into his warm grey eyes. "I love you."

At last, pulling away from him, Jenna transformed herself into a random woman and Disapparated out of the forest to get into the Wizarding village nearby, so she could use their Floo Network and get back to England.

It was time to pay Hermione Granger another visit.