Chapter 159

Throughout the past month while Jenna was gone, Sirius kept on volunteering for different missions, looking at them as a distraction. He hoped that if he was barely left alone with his thoughts, he would think of Jenna less. But it wasn't much help. He still missed her and his heart ached for her voice and her presence.

     A part of him felt guilty, because he had promised Jenna that this time wasn't like the last war, and that they were all going to make it out alive. But he had made a promise that he had no control over. People were being killed everyday, and there wasn't anything they could do to stop it.

    Sirius wanted to write to Jenna, or to see her up close, but he knew that would only risk her exposure. And even if it weren't this risky, he still didn't have the time to write letters to her, Harry, or Lexi. Sirius was away for Order business 24/7, and he didn't even have time to get enough sleep.

    Although one day, as he was returning from a mission which had cost him two nights sleep, Sirius saw a letter laying on the doorstep of the Potter Manor.

    Curious to know who it was from, Sirius went forward and picked up the envelope, only to see that it was sent by Lexi. Surprised, he quickly opened up the letter to see what was written inside.

Dear Sirius,

I hope you're doing well. I don't know where you currently are, but I need to talk to you. It's urgent.

Please send back a respond with this owl and give me a date and time as when you can meet me at Gryffindor common room's fireplace.

Please answer me as soon as possible,
Lexi

    Sirius frowned to himself, his stomach lurching. He had a hunch on what she wanted to talk to him about, but he was hoping that he was wrong.

     As fast  as he could, Sirius entered the house and took out a quill and a parchment from their bedroom drawer, and began to write back to her.

Dear Lexi,

I hope everything's fine. I'll see you in the common room tonight at midnight by the fireplace.

Sirius

***

Jenna was feeling bored out of her mind. For weeks, all she could do was to curl up on an armchair in the common room, napping or watching the students come and go. But that evening, she could feel that something was wrong.

    It was pretty late at night when Jenna noticed that while the students went up to their dorms one by one, Lexi Hooper remained in the common room, pacing around anxiously, as though something was bothering her. The girl looked highly distressed, waiting for everyone else to leave the room.

     The students were all gone before midnight, because they had classes the next morning and had to be up early, so Crookshanks soon found herself alone in the common room with Lexi.

It was a bit past midnight when the ginger cat jumped out of her skin when she suddenly saw a head appearing through the fireplace. Her yellow eyes widened when she realized who it was.

    It was Sirius

"Hey, Kiddo." He smiled at Lexi as she went by the fireplace and sat down before it. He still hadn't noticed Jenna's presence. "What's up –"

But Lexi cut him off quickly. "How long have you known?"

"Er...." Sirius started, confused. "How long have I known what?"