Chapter 9: Talking With Pulitzer and a Revealed Secret

Philippa, David, Les, Mush, Kid Blink, Racetrack and Boots snuck into the Refuge's gates. Kid Blink had a rope with him.

"That's the window where Jack supposedly saw Crutchy," David said.

They were about to move when they saw Snyder leading Jack into a carriage.

"It's Jack," Philippa said as David covered her mouth.

"Where they takin' him, Dave," Mush asked.
"Only one way to find out. Pips and I will meet you guys at the square," he answered. "Racetrack, watch him."

David and Philippa hid in the back of the carriage, which went
to Pulitzer's house. David stayed behind, but Philippa snuck behind Snyder and Jack, followed them in, and hid where she couldn't be seen. She was shocked to say the least when she saw Katherine out of the corner of her eye.

"Sit. Know what I was doing at your age, boy? I was in a war. The Civil War," Pulitzer said.
"Yeah, I heard of it. So, did ya win," Jack asked.
"People think war is about right or wrong and not power," Pulitzer replied.
"Yeah, I heard of that too. I don't just sell your papes, Joe. Sometime I read 'em," Jack said.
"Power of the press is the greatest power of them all. I tell this city how to think. I tell this city how to vote. I shape its future," he said.
"Yeah? Well, right now, I'm only thinking about one future, and that's mine," Jack said.
"So am I boy. I have the power to see you stay locked in the Refuge," Pulitzer said.
"And I have the power to break out again," Jack said.
"Or, I can see you released tomorrow, free and clear, with more money in your pockets than you can earn in three lifetimes," Pulitzer said.
"Are you bribin' me, Joe," Jack asked.
"No," he answered.
"Well, it's been real nice chattin' with ya, Joe. But I got to be goin' now," Jack said.
"You listen to me, boy. You just shut your mouth and listen to me! You shut up and listen to me for once! No game I'm playing. You work for me til the strike's over, and it will end, boy, make no mistake, with or without you. Then, you go where ever you want to buy a ticket for. Away from the Refuge, these foul streets. Free. With money to spend and nobody chasing you," he said.
"We must have you scared pretty bad, old man," Jack said.
"I offer you freedom and money just to work for me again. To your friends, I won't be so kind. Now, you're partner, what's his name? David. I understand he has a family. What do you think the Refuge will do to him? And it will be you who put him there. And all the others, after all, you're their leader. Go back to the Refuge tonight, think about it. Give me your answer in the morning," Pulitzer said.
"You may run this city, but there are some of us who can't be bullied. Even some reporters," Jack said.
"Such as that young woman who made you and your friends news two days ago? Talented girl. And beautiful as well, don't you think," Pulitzer asked.
"I'll tell her you said so," Jack answered.
"No need. She can hear for herself. Can't you, darling," Pulitzer asked as Katherine stood up from behind a chair and walked over to them.

Philippa's jaw dropped. She quickly got up and left without anyone noticing. Jack's jaw dropped as well.

"I trust you know my daughter, Katherine. Yes. My daughter. You're probably asking 'Why the nom de plume and why doesn't my daughter work for me? Good questions. I offered Katherine a life of wealth and leisure. Instead, she chose to pursue a career. And she was showing real promise, until this recent lapse. But you're done with all of that now, aren't you, sweetheart," Pulitzer asked.

"Jack I-," Katherine said before Pulitzer cut her off.
"Don't trouble the boy with your problems, dearest. Mr. Kelly has a plateful of his own. Show him out, Seitz," Pulitzer said.

Jack walked out with Snyder.

"Jack," Philippa shouted.

"Come on! Come on," David shouted.

Jack slid down the railing and jumped  over it. He, David, and Philippa took off. They ran into an alley and Jack slowed down.

"Come on! Keep running," David said.

"You two shouldn't have done this, Dave and Pip. They could put you both in jail," Jack said.
"We don't care," Philippa said.
"Come here, Pip," Jack said as he pulled her close. "I love you too much too lose you, Philippa Blythe."
"You love me," she asked.
"Of course, I do! Youse beautiful, smart, independent, and a great leader too. Dave told me how you took charge after I hid out at Medda's theater. That's amazin'," Jack replied.
"Good. Because I l-," Philippa said before being cut off by Jack.
"I need you to go run away. Go back to the lodgin' house. I don't want you to experience what I've experienced and experience what Crutchy's goin' through in the Refuge. I need you to stay strong for me, Pip" Jack said.
"Okay, Cowboy," she said before running to the lodging house.

David just stood there.

"What about your family? What happens to them if you go in jail? You don't know nothin' about jail. Now, thanks for what you done, but you get out of here too," Jack said.
"I don't understand," David said.
"I don't understand either, but just get outta here," Jack said angrily.
"No," David shouted.
"Go," Jack shouted back as he leaned against a wall as David walked away.

Soon, Jack was leaning against a wall in the Refuge.

Jack:
Santa Fe, my old friend.
I can't spend my whole life hidin'.
You're the only light that's guidin' me today.

Crutchy opened a little slot in the door. He had a potato.

"Psst! Jack! Look! I snitched it off Snyder's plate while I was servin' him. It's the biggest one. Oh, Mr. Snyder was eatin' good tonight. You know the stuff that we don't ever get? He got potatoes, olives, liver, bacon, sauerkraut. And guess what I done to his sauerkraut, huh," Crutchy asked.
"So, what'd it get ya," Jack asked.
"Oh, another three months, probably, but you can't let 'em get you, right, Jack? That's what you always said...," Crutchy answered.
"We was beat when we was born," Jack said.

Crutchy frowned and closed the slot.

Jack:
Will you keep a candle burnin'
Will you help me find my way?
You're my chance to break free
And who knows when my next one will be
Santa Fe.
Wait for me.

Jack fell asleep that night afraid of what he had to do the next day.