Chapter 1: Going to the Lodging House, Becoming a Newsie, and Santa Fe

A/N: Italics mean singing. Also, imagine Christian Bale and whichever female singer you want to be for Philippa's singing voice singing Santa Fe (Prologue) together instead of Jeremy Jordan and Andrew Keenan-Bolger. I also changed a bit of the lyrics in Santa Fe (Prologue) so it could fit the story better. I also apologize if this chapter sucks.

It was May of 1899. Seventeen year old Philippa Blythe had walked into the newsboys lodging house in Manhattan. She went to the lodging house to find her friend, Jack Kelly, because he told her that he would be there if she needed anything. She needed Jack now more than ever since her parents had died in a house fire with their friends. She needed his help to find work and a place to stay.

"Hi, Pippa. How can I help you," Kloppman asked.
"Is Jack here," the brunette girl asked.
"Yes, he is. He just finished selling papers and seemed pretty tired. I wouldn't be surprised if he is asleep on his bunk," Kloppman answered.
"Is it alright if I go up there and see him, Kloppman," Philippa asked.
"I don't see why not," he replied.
"Thank you," Philippa said before walking up the stairs to the bunk room.

Philippa walked upstairs finding Jack to be the only one in the room on his bunk sound asleep and occasionally snoring softly. She walked over to his bunk and carefully took his red bandana off of his neck, which surprisingly did not wake him up.

"Jack, wake up," Philippa said.
"In a minute, Pip," he said in his sleep.
"Please, Cowboy. I need to tell you something important," she begged.
"Alright, alright. I'm wakin' up," Jack said with a yawn.
"Good," Philippa said while Jack sat up on the bed so she could climb up and sit next to him.
"Where's my bandana," Jack asked as Philippa handed it to him when she climbed up on his bunk.
"I took it to try to wake you up," Philippa said.
"Oh. So, what important thing do you have to tell me," Jack asked.
"Well, my parents died in a house fire with their friends while I was visiting my cousin in Brooklyn. I have nowhere to go and no way to provide for myself. I figured you could help me, Jack," I answered.
"I'se sorry that happened. It just so happens that I can help you. You can live here and be a newsie. You won't make much, but every penny counts," he said.
"Thank you, Cowboy," Philippa said before hugging him.

As they hugged, a group of newsies walked into the room.

"Well, look what we have here. Jack has a girl," Racetrack said.
"Leave us alone, Race. We ain't together," Jack said.

"Hi, Race. Hey, Crutchy. Hi, Boots. Hey, Blink. Hi, Mush. Hey, Skittery. Hi, Bumlets," Philippa said.

"Hiya, Pippa. How have you been," Crutchy asked.
"I've been alright, I suppose," she replied. "How are you, Crutchy?"
"I'm swell," he answered with his smile that could easily put a smile on someone else's face.

"Pip is gonna live here and become a newsie since she lost her parents in a house fire," Jack said.
"That's nice. I mean, it's bad that she lost her parents, but it's nice that she gets to live here and be a newsie," Kid Blink said.

Several hours later, it was the middle of the night. All the Manhattan newsies were in their beds asleep. Philippa was sharing a bunk with Jack and was having trouble sleeping due to a nightmare. She woke up in shock, rolled over to talk to Jack, and didn't see him. What she didn't know was that Jack couldn't sleep, so he went to the roof for fresh air and to draw. She decided to go to the roof to clear her head and found Jack sitting and looking up at the stars.

"Hi, Jack," Philippa said.
"You couldn't sleep either, Pip," he asked.
"I woke up from a nightmare. I came up here to clear my head," she replied.
"I always think about my family that's findin' a ranch out west in Santa Fe when I have bad dreams. It helps," Jack said.
"Santa Fe," Philippa asked.
"Yeah. Santa Fe. I'll take you with me. You would like it. Everythin' is different there. It's all bigger. The desert, the sky, the sun," Jack answered.
"It's the same sun as here," Philippa said.
"Yeah, it just looks different," Jack said with a chuckle.
"What's so great about Santa Fe? Everyone wants to come to New York," Philippa said.
"New York's fine for those who can find a big strong door to lock it out. But I tell you, Pip, there's a whole other way out there. So you keep your small life in the big city. Give me a big life in a small town," Jack said.

Jack:
They say folks is dyin' to get here.
Me, I'm dyin' to get away.
To a little town out west that's spankin' new.
And while I ain't never been there, I can see it clear as day.
If you want, I bet'cha you could see it, too.
Close your eyes, come with me where it's clean and green and pretty.
And they went and made a city outta clay.
Why, the minute that you get there, folks'll walk right up and say "Welcome home, son. Welcome home to Santa Fe!"
Plantin' crops.
Splittin' rails.
Swappin' tales around the fire
'Cept for Sunday when you lie around all day.
Soon your friends are more like family, and they's beggin' you to stay.
Ain't that neat?
Livin' sweet in Santa Fe.

"Just think about it, Pip. You and me watchin' the sun rise and set not havin' a care in the world," Jack said.
"That sounds wonderful. Would we have a nice little ranch house," she asked.
"The nicest one you want," Jack replied.
"And horses too," Philippa asked.
"Of course," Jack answered.

Jack and Philippa:
Santa Fe, you can bet we won't let them bastards beat us!
We won't beg no one to treat us fair and square!
There's a life that's worth the livin', and I'm gonna do my share!
Jack:
Work the land!
Chase the sun!
Jack and Philippa:
Swim the whole Rio Grande just for fun!
Philippa:
I doubt our dream has begun.
Jack:
Hey! Now, don't you know that we's a family?
Would I let you down?
No way!
Just hold on, Pip, 'til that train makes Santa Fe.

"Promise we'll go to Santa Fe together, Cowboy," Philippa asked.
"I promise we'll go to Santa Fe together, Pip," Jack replied as he wrapped an arm around her.
"Let's get some sleep, Jack. We'll certainly need it," she said with a yawn.
"Alright," he said as they got up and headed down to the bunk room.

The two friends headed into the bunk room and climbed into Jack's bunk.

"Good night, Cowboy," Philippa said.
"Good night," Jack mumbled as he drifted off to sleep.