Chapter 4: The World Will Know

It was a new day. Philippa had been woken up by Sarah.

"Thank goodness you're finally up. Mama made breakfast for all of us before we went to work. You were talking in your sleep. You mumbled something about Jack," Sarah said.
"I did," Philippa asked.
"You said something along the lines of 'Don't leave me, Jack'," Sarah answered.
"I did have an awful dream where he abandoned me and the other newsies just to go to Santa Fe," Philippa said.
"Oh. I doubt that will actually happen though, Pippa. The two of you seem pretty close for him to leave and forget about you," Sarah said.
"You're right," she said.
"I hate to pry, but are you and Jack together," Sarah asked.
"Not at all. Sarah, I say this as a friend so please don't take this the wrong way and hate me after I say this, but Jack is a flirt. He likes to impress girls and then forget about them the next day. He'll probably be friends with you because you're Davey's and Les' sister. I'm so sorry, but he'll never fancy you. Just like he'll never be in love with me," Philippa replied.
"Oh. Now that you mention it, I see what you mean about Jack being a flirt," she said.

Then, there was a knock on the door.

"Sarah, is Pips awake and dressed? We need to head to the distribution center," David said.
"She'll be ready in a couple of minutes, David," she said.
"Alright," he said.

Philippa quickly got dressed and left for the distribution center with David and Les. When they got there, a bunch of newsies were talking.

"What's going on," Philippa asked.

"They jacked up the price! You hear that Jack? Ten cents a hundred! You know, it's bad enough that we gotta eat what we don't sell, now they jack up the price! Can you believe that," Kid Blink asked.

"This'll bust me, I'm barely makin' a livin' right now," Skittery said.

"I'll be back sleepin' on the streets," Boots said.

"It don't make no sense. I mean, all the money Pulitzer's makin', why would he gouge us," Mush asked.
"Because he's a tight wad, that's why," Racetrack answered.

"Pipe down, it's just a gag. So, why the jack up, Weasel," Jack asked.
"Why not? It's a nice day. Why don't ya ask Mr. Pulitzer," he asked.

"They can't to this to me, Jack," Kid Blink said.
"They can do whatever they want. It's their stinkin' paper," Racetrack said.

"It ain't fair. We got no rights at all," Boots said.

"Come on, it's a rigged deck. They got all the marbles," Racetrack said.

"Jack, we got no choice, so why don't we get our lousy papes while they still got some, huh," Mush asked.
"No! Nobody's going anywhere. They can't get away with this," Jack replied.

"Give him some room. Give him some room. Let him think," Les said.

"Jack, you done thinkin' yet," Racetrack asked.

"Hey! Hey! Hey! World employees only on this side of the gate," Weasel said.

"Well, listen. One thing for sure, if we don't sell papes, then nobody sells papes. Nobody comes through those gates until they put the price back to where it was," Jack said.
"You mean like a strike," David asked.
"Yeah, like a strike," Jack answered.