Chapter 5: Watch What Happens and A Bit Of Crush Talk

The two girls were in Katherine's office trying figure out how to write the article.

"You heard the man, 'Write it good'," Philippa said.

"Write it good, or it's back to wheezing your way through the flower show," Katherine said.

"No pressure," Philippa said.

"Let's go," the two girls said in unison.

"'Newsies Stop The World'," Katherine said.

"I guess a little hyperbole never hurt anyone," Philippa said.

"'With all eyes fixed on the trolley strike, there's another battle brewing in the city...' And if I could just write about it," Katherine said as she took a piece of paper out of the typewriter, crumpled it up and threw it away.
"Come on, Katherine, the boys and I are counting on you," Philippa said.

"Oh, you poor kids," Katherine said to herself as she put a new piece of paper in the typewriter.

Katherine:
"Write what you know," so they say. All I know is I don't know what to write or the right way to write it!
Philippa:
This is big, lady, don't screw it up!
Katherine:
This is not some little vaudeville I'm reviewing!
Philippa:
Poor little kids versus rich greedy sour pusses!
Ha! It's a cinch!
It could practically write itself!
Katherine:
And let's pray it does, 'cause as I may have mentioned, I have no clue what I'm doing!
Am I insane? This is what I've been waiting for!
Well that, plus the screaming of ten angry editors.
A girl? It's a girl! How the hell? Is that even legal?
Look, just go and get her!
Philippa:
Not only that, there's a story behind the story: Thousands of children, exploited, invisible!
Speak up, take a stand, and there's someone to write about it!
That's how things get better!
Katherine and Philippa:
Give life's little guys some ink, and when it dries just watch what happens!
Katherine:
Those kids will live and breathe right on the page and once they're center stage, you watch what happens!
Philippa:
And who's there with her camera and her pen as boys turn into men?
Katherine and Philippa:
They'll storm the gates and then just watch what happens when they do!

"'A modern day David is poised to take on the rich and powerful Goliath. With the swagger of one twice his age, armed with nothing more than a few nuggets of truth, Jack Kelly stands ready to face the behemoth Pulitzer'," Katherine said after reading what she wrote.
"Now, that's how you turn a boy into a legend," Philippa said.

Katherine:
Picture a handsome, heroically charismatic-
Philippa:
Plain-spoken, know nothing, skirt-chasing, cocky little son of a-
Katherine:
Lie down with dogs, and you wake up with a raise and a promotion!
Philippa:
So, he's a flirt, a complete ego maniac.
Katherine:
The fact is he's also the face of the strike. What a face!
Philippa:
Face the facts, that's a face that could save us all from sinking in the ocean!
Katherine:
Like someone said, "Power tends to corrupt!"
And absolute power, wait, wait, corrupts?
Philippa:
Absolutely!
That is genius!
Katherine:
But give me some time, I'll be twice as good as that six months from never!
Philippa:
Just look around at the world we're inheriting and think of the one we'll create!
Their mistake is they got old!
Katherine:
That is not a mistake we'll be making!
No sir, we'll stay young forever!
Give those kids and me the brand new century and watch what happens!
Philippa:
It's David and Goliath, do or die.
The fight is on, and I can't watch what happens!
Katherine:
But all I know is nothing happens if you just give in!
Philippa:
It can't be any worse than how it's been!
Katherine and Philippa:
And it just so happens that we just might win!
So whatever happens, let's begin!

Katherine finished typing the article.

"Are you involved with any of those boys," Katherine asked.
"What do you mean," Philippa asked.
"Oh, don't play dumb. Are you and any of those boys dating, Pippa," Katherine asked.
"No," she answered.
"Good. Because I have taken a liking to that Davey boy," Katherine said.
"Well, you're in luck, Kath, because it just so happens that I saw Davey staring at you," Philippa said.
"I think he was staring at me the same way you were staring at Jack," she said.
"I don't fancy Jack. That's absurd," Philippa said as a blush crept onto her cheeks.
"You do! I knew it," Katherine said.
"You can't tell anyone," Philippa said.
"I promise I won't tell anyone that you fancy Jack as long as you don't tell anyone that I fancy Davey," Katherine said while Philippa got up and headed to the door. "Where are you going?"
"Back to the lodging house. The boys are probably wondering where I am. Besides, I'm going to Brooklyn with Jack, Davey, and Boots tomorrow to convince Spot Conlon and the Brooklyn newsies to join the strike," Philippa replied.
"Oh, alright. Well, good night, Pippa. And good luck," Katherine said.
"Thanks, Kath. Good night," she said before leaving.

Philippa, Jack, and the other newsies couldn't wait for the next day.