Chapter 2: A Couple of New Kids

It was now the middle of July. Philippa had become Jack's selling parter. She quickly developed feelings for Jack since they had been spending all their time together, but she didn't tell him how she felt out of fear of ruining their friendship. Today was going to be another day hot day for selling newspapers, which all of the newsies dreaded. Kloppman had walked into the bunk room to wake the boys and Philippa up.

"Boots! Skittery! Skittery! Skittery," Kloppman said to wake up the glum and dumb newsie.
"Wha..I didn't do it," Skittery said while waking up.
"What do you mean you didn't do it? Will you get up? When you get up, it's time to get up! Snitch! Get up! Get up! Everybody's sleeping. They sleep their lives away these kids! The presses are rolling! Sell the papers, sell the papers," Kloppman said while walking up more newsies.

Kloppman then walked over to Jack and Philippa's bunk.

"Come on, come on. You two dreaming about selling papers," Kloppman asked.
"Mmm? What's the matter with you," Jack asked.
"What's the matter with me," Kloppman asked.
"What's the matta with you? Wanna...go...back...to...," Jack said.

"Come on," Kloppman said while lightly pushing Jack and Philippa.
"Get away from us, you're mad," Philippa said.
"Haha. Get up you two! Come on. Alright! Carry the banner! Sell the papers," Kloppman said while walking out of the bunk room.

Racetrack woke up and began looking for his cigar, which was in Snipeshooter's mouth.

Racetrack:
That's my cigar!
Snipeshooter:
You'll steal another!
Philippa:
Hey, bummers, we got work to do!
Specs:
Since when did you become me mother?
Crutchy:
Ah, stop your bawlin'!
Mush, Specs, Philippa, and a few other newsies:
Hey, who asked you?

"So, how'd you sleep Jack," Mush asked.
"On me back, Mush," he answered.
"Ha ha. Hear that fellas? Hear what Jack said? I asked Jack how he slept and he said 'On me back Mush'," the curly haired newsie said.

"Pippa, when I walk, does it look like I'm fakin' it," Crutchy asked.
"No. Who says you're faking it," she asked while walking with Crutchy.
"I dunno. It's just there's so many fake crips on the street today, a real crip ain't got a chance. I gotta find me a new sellin' spot where they ain't used to seein' me," Crutchy replied.

Mush:
Try Bottle Alley or the harbor!
Racetrack:
Try Central Park it's guaranteed!
Jack:
Try any banker, bum, or barber!
Skittery:
They almost all knows how to read!
Kid Blink:
I smell money!
Crutchy:
You smell foul!
Mush:
Met this girl last night!
Crutchy:
Ah, move your elbow!
Racetrack:
Pass the towel!
Skittery:
For a buck I might!
All newsies:
Ain't it a fine life carryin' the banner through it all?
A mighty fine life carryin' the banner tough and tall!
Every mornin', we goes where we wishes!
We's as free as fishes!
Sure beats washin' dishes!
What a fine life carryin' the banner home free all!

As the boys and Philippa walked out of the lodging house and into the Manhattan streets, a girl who looked about seventeen or eighteen walked by with a man who looked the same age as her. Mush walked up to them.