14

A few days had gone by since Bucky had left, Bailey spending most of her time thinking about the offer from Howard stark. She had spoken to her boss about it during work, and learned that he was in on it the entire time.

"I actually sent in your records to Howard so he could see your brilliance." Her boss had explained, "Howard and I have known each other a while now, and we each owed favors."

"But there's so many other people her you could've chosen, so why me?" Bailey asked, "i mean, Doctor Arvind would've been my choice. He could work under pressure."

Baileys boss nodded. "That is true, Miss Connors. But One thing between you and him is that your a good hearted person and you do anything you can to keep your patients alive. But, he tends to jump to conclusions quickly and just turns to euthanizing  his patients if the work is too much." He said,  walking with Bailey through the halls. "And we need to keep as many of those men out there alive as we possibly can, and your our best bet."

Bailey smiled, shaking her bosses hand. "Thanks." She said, "but I must ask, did you actually want to send me there or was this your end of the favor to mr stark?"

"Of course I wanted to keep you here, tending to our local patients. But, you'll learn how clever Mr Stark is with his choice in words."

"I'm sure he is." Bailey laughed, noticing a bunch of doctors running to the emergency room. "What's going on?"

Her boss looked in the direction confused. "No clue." He said, leading bailey down to the emergency room.

The two watched as three stretchers rolled by. One with a girl who had long brown hair, the other two with two boys.

Since no one was paying as much attention to the girls stretcher, Bailey ran over and assisted them. "What do we got here?" She asked, not looking down to see who the girl could be.

"Three teens, girl was driving and these two boys were intoxicated while driving and hit her side of the car." One of the doctors said, "the two boys seem to be doing better than the girl due to the amount of alcohol they have consumed."

Bailey nodded. "Do we have names, any form of information?" She asked, looking down at the girl now. "What's your na-"

She stopped speaking once she got a good look at the girls face, although she was just about to fall unconscious. "Oh my gosh, Becca." She said. "Ok uh, I know this one. Rebecca Barnes, 25 years old."

"Miss Connors how could you possibly know this?" One of the doctors asked Bailey as they rushed Rebecca to a room.

Bailey sighed, staying strong so she could do her job. "I grew up with her. She's my boyfriends little sister." She said, "which means there's no way we can let her die on us. Keep her stable while I go look at the boys."

The doctors nodded as bailey ran out, following the stretchers that carried the two boys. Doctors surrounded one of the boys, working to keep him alive as well. "Do we have any form of identification yet?" A doctor asked.

"Let me see him." Bailey said, doctors giving her a better view. "Was this the driver?" She asked.

"Yes."

Bailey examined his face, recognizing him as well. Her blood boiled and she almost wanted to let him die once she could identify him. "Anthony Martino, 28." She said, "he knows the girl he hit."

"How do you know, you know him?"

"Oh yeah I do." Bailey said through gritted teeth. "Which means the other kid is probably someone I know too."

"B-bailey." Anthony said, "I thought you were a secretary."

Bailey scoffed at him. "Don't speak to me, Martino. Only I will speak to you unless I give you permission to speak." She threatened, "now let these guys do their job and keep your dumbass alive."

•••

After a while, bailey found herself sitting in rebeccas hospital room checking up on her for the tenth time that hour. She was terrified that she would lose Becca.

"Bucky's right, your pretty easy to read." Becca said weakly as she looked up at bailey.

Bailey sighed in relief as she gently bent down and hugged the girl. "I can't believe this. What happened?" She asked Becca as she continued to check her vitals.

"Well.. I was driving home from the post office after sending Bucky a letter, then the next thing I knew a car slammed into mine and I was knocked out cold." Rebecca said, her voice extremely soft and gentle compared to what Bailey was used to. "Have you written to him?"

Bailey shook her head and sighed. "N-no.. I don't even know what I'd say."

"Don't be ridiculous, just say what you think you guys would talk about if he stood here right now." Rebecca said, "tell him how your doing, and that you love him because he used to always gets so happy whenever you say it.. the biggest smile on his face when he'd get home."

Bailey smiled, holding onto beccas hand. "How do you feel?" She asked, "because you look beat."

Becca softly laughed, wincing in pain as she did. "Weak.. really weak." She said, "but I'm happy I've got my favorite person here with me, don't tell Bucky that."

Bailey smiled as a tear slid down her cheek. "I'm going to do everything I can to keep you alive, ok?" She said, looking into Rebeccas blue eyes, which looked almost identical to Bucky's.

"No." Rebecca said, "if I survive this, my whole future is ruined. I overheard the doctors before, saying I would be paralyzed from the waist down and my chances of having kids are over. What's there to look forward to?"

"Becca you can't be serious.." Bailey said, more tears welling up in her eyes. "Th-thats.. I can't let you do that!"

Rebecca frowned, putting her other hand over baileys.

"I'm sorry Bailey.." Becca said, her voice growing weaker. "Tell James I love him.. ok? A-and that I'm sorry."

The heart monitor began to beep as her heart rate decreased. "Becca no!" Bailey said, jumping up to get her help.

"You'll always be like the big sister i-I've never had.." Becca said, her eyes beginning to flutter closed. "Always and forever."

"Forever and always." Bailey cried as the monitor flatlined and beccas heartbeat stoped.

Doctors ran in after hearing the commotion of the monitors. Watching as the line went flat. "Barnes, Rebecca. Time of death, 20:25." The doctor said as another wrote it on the clipboard.

They all left the room, seeing how bailey reacted to the death of her basically little sister. It was a pain that was like no other.

But, what made it worse was that she would have to go tell ms Barnes, the remaining two sisters,... and Bucky..

A/N:
Well... that happened... 🥲