"As the Head Alpha, I have to inform them about a new law. But you're gonna be there because I don't want you alone," he said.

I nodded in understanding. He has to protect me. "What's the new law?" I asked. Ryan's eyes got darker and his grip on the wheel got tighter. "Ryan?" I asked. He looked over at me and his expression softened.

"Only an Alpha and his true mate can lead a pack as their Alpha and Luna," Ryan stated.

My eyebrows knitted together in confusion. "Why are you upset? Aren't you all about that mates being together?" I questioned.

"I am. I just can't believe that an Alpha would choose someone, who isn't his true mate, as his Luna!" he said exasperated. "If she was supposed to be a Luna, then the Moon Goddess would have chosen her to be his mate! It's not like his mate was unfit to be a Luna. He's just another power-hungry Alpha!" Ryan ranted.

"Someone who isn't meant to, took the place as a Luna?" I asked shocked. Ryan nodded. "Why would they even do that?!" I threw my hands up and dropped them on my lap.

"Cause they wanted more power" Ryan's grip on the wheel got tighter, so his knuckles were turning white. "Two Alphas made a treaty. Their son and daughter will marry, to join the packs. But both of them had already had mates. They just weren't fully mated," Ryan explained. There are two steps to becoming true mates. The marking, which is literally marking one another with your teeth. And intercourse. Both typically happen in the same night. I learned rather quickly that mates cannot keep their hands off of each other. I nodded for Ryan to continue. "So the son and daughter mated, and they united the pack. But they both have Alpha blood, so the pack suffered."

Two born Alpha's can't rule one pack, especially if they're not mates. If they were true mates, there would be a possibility it would work; however, it would be difficult. All Alpha's are dominant. They wouldn't want to work together. They'd clash heads too often. "So that's why the Council created the law," I said. Ryan shook his head. "So why?" I inquired.

"That is only part of the reason. The pack suffered, but so did their mates. Their mates died," Ryan said. I gasped. "After you meet your mate, there is instantly a bond created. You can feel each other's emotions and pain and physical things. When the Alphas mated, their true mates felt it. They lost a part of themselves." I nodded, unable to form words. "That's not even the worst part!" Ryan shouted.

I gaped at him. "It gets worse?" I asked. Ryan rubbed the top of his head with his hand and sighed.

"She was pregnant." he stated. I looked at him confused. "The son's mate. She was pregnant when she died." Ryan said softly.

My blood boiled. "So their stupid deal killed two mates and an unborn child?!" I shouted.

"That's why we got the new law," Ryan finished. I let it all sink in.

A child?! Just for power! All of that for power. For gaining a larger pack. Then letting your pack suffer. Killing your own mate! Killing a child! That kid didn't even have a chance to live. Didn't have a chance to meet its mate. Didn't have a chance to shift for the first time. The kid didn't even get to meet their mom. They ruined lives. All for nothing. Their plan failed, and everyone just suffered.

How could someone do that? To their own flesh and blood. To their family. To the one person that was made just for you. Ryan and I sat the rest of the ride in silence.

"We're here." Ryan stopped the car just outside a forest. I nodded and he took out his phone and dialed a number. "Hello. It's Alpha Hayes. We've just arrived."

"Alright. I grant you and your guest permission to enter my territory," a male voice said through the phone. Ryan thanked him and hung up. After he hung up, I borrowed his phone to quickly call my parents. We continued driving for another half-hour, until we stopped in front of a three story mansion. Typical pack house.