Chapter Four

Genevieve

Ryan woke me up at four a.m. I almost got twelve whole hours of sleep, but we needed to head to the next pack. Shawn arrived around midnight. Ryan filled him in on all the talk about the Princess, and Shawn was glad to help the Royal Family.

"Babes!" Shawn shouted when I slid into the backseat of the car. Don't get the wrong idea. Shawn and I aren't together or anything. We are just good friends. We grew up together. My parents, his parents, and Ryan and Jordyn are best friends; so when they needed to have meetings, Shawn and I hung out.

Alpha and Beta bloodlines always become best friends. It's a good thing since they'll be running a pack together. "Coco!" I exclaimed. Shawn pouted at the nickname and Ryan chuckled. "Aw. Did Coco get his feeling hurt?" I imitated a child's voice.

Shawn glared at me. "Why do you even call him that?" Ryan asked as he started the car.

Shawn groaned and I laughed. "Smell him," I told Ryan. He sniffed the air and shrugged. "He smells like coconuts!" I exclaimed.

"But you call him Coco?" Ryan asked. I nodded.

"Coconut is too long," I explained. Ryan shook his head with a chuckle and we fell into a nice silence. I slowly drifted off into dream land.

*****

"You wake her up," a voice said, interrupting my dream. Stupid Shawn.

"Why won't you?" another voice asked. And that's Ryan.

"Does it look like I wanna get punched?" Shawn asked. I'm not that violent.

Ryan chuckled. "Wimp." I heard a smack, then Ryan groaned. "Fine. I'll do it," Ryan said. I heard two doors open and close, then the door next to me opened.

I felt Ryan come closer to me. "Boo!" I shouted. Both men screamed, and Ryan jumped, hitting his head on the ceiling of his car.

"Dammit Eve!" Ryan exclaimed rubbing his bald head.

"Your... faces... priceless," I choked out between laughs.

Ryan and Shawn glared at me until my laughter died down. "We're at the Storm Pack," Ryan announced. I nodded and finally got out the car. Together, we walked to the front door of the pack house. I sniffed around. No mate. 

Ryan had the meeting with the Alpha and Luna, while Shawn and I hung out at some café. We were in the pack territory for about two hours, until the meeting was over. Ryan picked us up, and we headed to the next pack. It was a pretty boring day.

Unfortunately, that's how the rest of the trip went for about six more packs. Still no mate. We went through almost half the packs in a week. And I still didn't find him. We left the Amber Wolf pack, and headed for the Blue Moon pack.

The plan was to go to this pack, then back to the castle. Jordyn was getting restless, so we changed the schedule a little. If I didn't find my mate by the time we went back to the castle, I would continue this trip with Ryan.

"What if I don't find him?" I asked Shawn. Ryan left Shawn and I in the car while he got drinks and snacks from the gas station.

Shawn turned around and studied me for a moment before answering. "He has to be out there somewhere. We still have a few more packs, so don't give up hope," he assured me.

My mind was focused on the thought of my mate. I haven't found him. What if he's not alive? "What if he died?" I softly voiced my thoughts. Its practically impossible to find a second-chance mate. The bond isn't as strong. Plus, you only get a second-chance if your mate dies.