𝟎𝟏𝟎. understanding

ANCHOR

____________

WHEN ISAAC FINDS Malia, she's taking a long sip from the silver flask that is wrapped in her right hand. She hasn't noticed him yet, and the dirty blond decides to approach her with a neutral expression displayed on his face.

Malia continues dancing, her eyelids shut, and mouth curled in a slight smile. Isaac wonders if she's drunk for a moment before realizing that she can't be, and he keeps making his way over to the girl. She opens her eyes as he steps in front of her, and Malia's smile fades instantly. He frowns, but quickly attempts to replace it with tightened lips.

"What're you doing here?" Isaac asks over the music, raising his voice to be sure that she can hear his question.

"Getting drunk." Malia briefly holds up the flask, gesturing her free hand towards him. "What are you doing?"

The boy moves to the side, jerking his chin over his shoulder. Malia averts her eyes to find Scott and Allison standing a few feet away, both of them in a conversation of their own while they observe the rest of the students. "I'm here with them— they're here to make sure no one gets hurt or anything."

"That sounds fun too," she says in an uninterested tone, taking a swig of her drink.

Neither of them speaks again for another few minutes, the music blasting and the voices of nearby groups becoming louder. Isaac watches the werecoyote intently, his gaze narrowed as she keeps her line of sight trained on nothing in general. The Alpha and his beta stare at them from their spot beside each other, curious as to how their interaction is going.

Malia inhales while she points to the pair. "I think your boyfriend and girlfriend want to say something."

Isaac's head whips around to look at them, and both of their eyes widen as they attempt to engage in a false conversation. Isaac sighs, turning back to the girl in front of him. "They just want to know if you're okay."

"You can tell them I'm fine," Malia informs him. She glances between him and their friends, maintaining a blank expression. "Oh, also Liam and Mason are here. They're drinking, too."

"What?" Isaac questions, searching the area for the two freshmen. When he finds them, Liam is gulping down a long sip of Coca-Cola. The tall boy stifles a groan, "Now we have to watch them too."

"Eh, they'll be fine. They've been here as long as me, and no one's tried to kill either of us yet."

"Yet," Isaac repeats pessimistically.

Malia rolls her eyes at him, chugging more of the vodka. The liquid tingles on her tongue, but she doesn't particularly mind the feeling. Abruptly, Isaac swipes the object from her grasp and tilts his own head back, letting the alcohol run down his throat with ease. When he returns the flask to Malia and wipes his mouth with the back of his sleeves, he coughs as the burning sensation takes place.

The girl lets out a soft laugh, grinning at him. Isaac pauses before smiling, joining her with a light chuckle. However, Malia soon remembers the reality of their situation, and her cheerful expression fades into one of vacancy. Isaac's face does the same, and they drift into another awkward silence.