19 Sandwich

Chapter 19

***

Lucas doesn't question my mood on our way to Jacob's place. It's ok, The Neighborhood singing through the speakers keep me company. They know. They understand.

I don't understand.

I should take my mind off of my problems. Let's focus on Lucas. Yeah, what's his problem? Why does he need my help to figure out what to do? Isn't he three years older than me? Isn't he an ex-Marine?

"Why do you come to the wise Layla?" I ask him.

"Huh?" He scowls, giving me a weird look.

I put my hands together to portray intelligence. "What brings you to my chambers of knowledge, little one?"

"Shit. Are you drunk again?"

"I wish." I smile wryly, looking out the window at passing cars. "I should become an alcoholic."

"Don't worry, you already are."

"I have a small body. Alcohol just gets to me." I defend my rights.

"A small body." He smirks quietly. The way he says it makes my stomach flutter. What is with this devil. Where's the holy water?

"Are you a pedophile?"

He looks horrified. "The fuck? Why would you- oh my God." He grits his jaw, knuckles tight around the steering wheel. He releases an annoyed groan. Damn, he doesn't like being called out on being his true self.

"There's help, you know. You're not a lost cause." I comfort him.

"Layla, shut up."

"I'm not judging you. It's not my place to."

His strong hand reaches towards me and it's so freaking large it covers my entire face. "Shut this annoying mouth of yours. Just shut it. Shush. No word."

My sounds come out muffled as I fight his hand attack. "Don't hate the player. Hate the game." I lick the inside of his palm and he learns his lesson and flinches back.

"Did you just lick me?"

"Did you like it?" I wiggle my eyebrows.

"No." He scowls, rubbing his hand on his jeans. He shakes his head and blasts the music. He's trying to burst my eardrums. I don't have money to cover for such damage.

"You know, a q-tip would be a better alternative for your hearing problems." I explain, lowering the music.

Lucas pinches his nose. This guy is really bad at taking suggestions.

~

Casey and Jacob look like they've been married for ten years. They're in matching grey pajama bottoms. Except Casey can't survive without pink, so her top is pink. Jacob is showing off his biceps in a black muscle t-shirt. His messy black hair and glasses complete the look.

"Score, girl." I whisper to Casey, nudging her side with my elbow.

"I know." Casey starts humping the air and I'm so thankful that Jacob and Lucas can't see.