13 Her Jealousy

***

Chapter 13

***

Well, my birthday was a shit show.

Turns out Lucas orchestrated the adult equivalent of Gossip Girl. Schemed for Jacob to seduce Casey, to be Prince Charming and rescue her from the big, bad wolf. Regine was in on it too. That's what they were planning when I caught them in a deep conversation. Strategizing an opportunity for Lucas to act like an ass and for Jacob to step in as Hercules.

David's drunken love confession proved to be that unintended window. Apparently, Lucas was the first to notice, and he turned the scene into a bigger deal than it needed to be, all for Jacob to shine and for Casey to notice. And it worked like a charm.

By the end of the night, Lucas was forgotten. Donated as damaged goods. Casey was on Jacob's arm, giggling like a middle school girl. Jacob wasn't that far behind. I had never seen the guy so giddy. The two were like melted goo.

This made the awkwardness between Casey and I nonexistent. Sure, there was that uncomfortable confrontation over why Lucas felt inclined to protect me. But we were able to justify that over the fact that he's a colleague that's known me for years, and was simply the most sober one to judge the situation the quickest.

Which...I'm 80% sure is true.

The other 20% is stuck on that stifled exchange on his, uhm, lap. Don't know what that was about. Absolutely unprofessional. But I blame that on his male hormones and my drunken state. After all, even David acted uncharacteristically. So...no big deal.

On more crucial matters, Grey Goose has renewed their contract! The only downside is that they want me to model in the second video too. The theme is 'Tropical Honeymoon' in Malibu. That's where we'll be heading in less than an hour with a small crew. So I'm in the break room at the moment, pouring coffee in a paper cup before heading out.

"Exciting day today, huh?" Grant's thick accent rolls beside me as he puts a glass Tupperware in the microwave. "You ready to shoot with Michael? Your fake husband?"

"Of course," I drawl sarcastically. "I don't intend to get married, so might as well have a taste of it, right?"

He chuckles in a way that makes me feel immature. Thankfully I don't have to respond, because Lucas comes in at that instant. I tense at the visual of his tall, dark figure striding my way with nonchalance, oozing with confidence and a signature smirk. His eyes take in my red summer dress and side braid for a fragmented moment, making me shift from one leg to another.

"That's a new look." He notes, grabbing a water bottle from the fridge.

"Well, we're going to the beach..." I blush, opening the cabinet for Advil I know he's going to reach for in a second.

His eyebrows lift when I extend my hand with the medicine. Then he shakes his head and takes the bottle. "Right..."

The microwave alarm rings, and Grant opens the door with a content sigh. He pops the lid off, steam and aroma of garlic, cheese, and basil fill the room, making my mouth water. "Wow, Nina sure spoils me with her cooking."

"That pasta again?" Lucas asks. The corners of his lips pull down a bit, eyes lose some of the shine.

Grant nods. "Your recipe, isn't it? She raves about it. Says no one makes it better than you. Although I can't imagine it tasting better than this. You should make it sometime."

Lucas snorts under his breath. He opens the medicine bottle, pops two pills in his mouth and chugs down the water. I look away from the way his Adam's apple bobs, from the way he presses his wet lips to lick the excess water off. "I haven't cooked for anyone for years. And I don't plan to."

"That's unfortunate." Grant says, lifting the Tupperware of the counter and turning on his heel. He brings the pasta close to his face for a long sniff and hums. "You should." He walks away before Lucas can respond.

"You ready to leave?" Lucas asks me, stepping behind my shoulder to open the cabinet and put the bottle back.

"Maybe you should take that. We're going to be there the whole day." I mumble, eyes down on my coffee to ignore the way his body heat seeps into my back.

"True..." He closes it slowly, then steps beside me. His arm nearly presses against mine from how near he's standing. He takes a paper cup and I shift to make way for him to use the coffee machine.

"Who's ready for the beach?!" A red haired woman walks in with a cheerful grin. Freckles dot her round face, she's in green shorts and a white tank. "Oh, Layla. I picked the cutest bikini for you. Can't wait to see you in it."

"Thanks..." I drawl, tilting my head. "Are you the new stylist?"

Her smile deflates. "No. I've been here for almost a year. We've talked before."

Oh, great. "I'm sorry." I laugh nervously. "I'm really bad with faces. And names."

"She is, Gia. Don't take it personally. If you're not a number on an excel sheet, she won't remember." Lucas says. His teasing smile is back, but now it makes me want to punch him.

"No worries." She says warmly, taking a sparkling water from the fridge. "Well...I'll see you in the car Layla. We're carpooling with Derek and Michael. Lucas you'll meet us there?"

Lucas nods before she walks out, leaving us alone. Then he deadpans. "You really need to learn people's names. It's not professional."

I scowl at him. "And you need to stop flirting with them. That's not professional either."

"Who says I'm flirting?"

I do my best smoldering, crooked smile and deepen my voice. "Don't worry, Gia. I remember your name."

His expression is a mixture of a scowl and humor. "Is that...supposed to be me?"

"It is you. You walk around like you're filming for the Bachelor. It's good to practice some restraint, you know. Try to control your...urges."

He cocks an eyebrow, suppressing a smile, then reaches across the counter when I try to take one of the plastic lids for my coffee. He snatches the one I grab and pops it on my cup, then takes a second one for his own. "If I were flirting," He looks at me, brown eyes heated with amusement. "You'd know."

Then he walks away.

~A/N~

Wanted to keep this one short since the last one was SO long. Everyone ready for the beach? Next chapter title is going to be 'His Jealousy' hehe

Reminder to VOTE for Layla and Lucas to get together <3