A New Leaf

Link and Tanis were on the road for a few days, riding on their horses. The closer they got to their destination, the more things became awkward for the young Sheikah. Finally, he brought it up to his companion as they were riding through West Necluda at dawn.

"Are you sure we need to pass through here? We are headed straight for Kakariko Village." he pointed out.

"That is our destination." replied Link.

"... Why? Wouldn't anywhere else be better?"

"You'll be safe from the Yiga there, and since you are Sheikah, they will see you as one of their own."

"Oh... right..."

"We'll arrive soon." Link told his companion as they continued onward. While they rode through the canyon road that led to the village, Tanis became increasingly more and more nervous, knowing that he would soon have a large obstacle to surmount.

As they passed under the wooden archways, Tanis got his first glimpse of Kakariko Village. It all was frighteningly unfamiliar, yet at the same time, he felt as though he had belonged here all his life. He watched the villagers going about doing their daily activities, working, talking, shopping, and playing, their snow white hair on full display.

It was nothing like what the Yiga told him. He had always been taught that the Sheikah were all dishonourable cowards, uncivilized assassins who would stab anyone in the back if it were to their advantage. Yet now, all he saw was simply a peaceful, prospering tribe, unlike the violent Yiga Clan.

The two stopped their horses after entering, before getting off. Link motioned for Tanis to follow him as they walked through the village street. As they did, he realized several of the villagers had stopped to stare at them. Tanis looked down at the ground, trying not to hide his face.

Link, ignoring the stares, led his companion to Elder Impa's abode. Dorian was doing his day shift, standing guard at the entrance. As he saw the two approaching, he greeted the young Hylian with a wave of the hand.

"Ah, Sir Link, you're back! I'm glad to see you made it back safely-" He suddenly stopped as he saw Tanis behind Link. "Oh, I didn't realize you brought a friend with you. Hello."

"Um... Hi..." Tanis replied.

"We need to speak with you in private Dorian. It's important." Link told the guard.

"Oh, I see, right this way." he answered.

The three headed up to Ta'loh Naeg shrine. With no one being there at the moment, they stopped by the side of the structure to talk.

"What exactly do you need to talk about?" asked Dorian.

"Tanis here was a member of the Yiga Clan that recently defected." Link told him.

Tanis' shot wide open as the words came from his mouth. Why was Link revealing his secret immediately to this man?

"... A defector? Like me?" the guard responded.

"Huh? You were a member of the Yiga Clan too?" Tanis asked.

"Yes, I was. I left several years ago before moving here."

"I was hoping you would help Tanis move into the village and help him start a life here." Link explained.

Dorian looked at the young man before him. Even though he was much younger than him, he could see himself in the boy. Understanding what he must have gone through, he nodded.

"I'll do just that. But we must speak with Elder Impa first, it is her duty to welcome new members of our tribe into the village." Dorian said.

"Very well." answered Link.