Chapter VII: "Hello there"

By now, everyone was packing their music sheets. "You are amazing," (Y/N) heard Emile's voice creep from behind her. She laughed and said, "I know," proudly. The two chatted for a bit, mostly about practice gossip and plans for going out later. After a while, they decided to head home. "I'll see you tomorrow?", (Y/N) asked. Emile nodded and went along with her way.

   (Y/N) was now alone with her thoughts. The opera house was almost empty and silent. All was silent, except for the sounds of her shoes setting foot on the wooden floor. Her mind drifted to thinking about the opera ghost. She smiled at the thought of him staring at her during practice. Had she already started feeling attached to him? No, it can't be; they barely spent one day together, but there was this thing about him, that she didn't see in anyone else. Can you blame her?

   A voice interrupted her thinking process. "Hello there, Miss (Y/N)," a man said and kissed the front of her hand gently. Normally, it would be considered an act of love and kindness, but now, it was just creepy.

   "I'm sorry, who are you?", (Y/N) asked feeling uncomfortable. "The name is Jerry. I'm the lighting board operator here," he answered, looking at her perversely. "Okay, um, nice to meet you, but I really should get going right now," (Y/N) told him with a fake smile on her face. He didn't let her pass. "Why so fast? You could use a little fun time," the pervert smirked at her. She felt disgusting. While she was trying to move forward, he gripped her arm and put his hand to cover her mouth. "You're a busy little thing, aren't ya?". Anxiety rushed through (Y/N)'s veins. 

   Struggling to let go, her eyes were close to tearing up, until another voice came in. "Let go of her. Now," it said. (Y/N), still utterly scared, hoped it was whom she thought it was. "Who's there?", damned Jerry asked trying to hide emotions of fear. "I'm not going to ask twice, Jerry," the phantom demanded. "Show yourself!", Jerry yelled afraid.

   Suddenly, (Y/N) felt able to breathe properly again, for the hand covering her mouth wasn't strangling her anymore. The phantom had wrapped his lasso on Jerry's neck. "Your hands-" He tightened the rope. "-at the level!" He tightened it even more "-of your eyes," he whispered the last three words in his ears.

   Just when he was about to strangle him to death, he saw a look of fear on (Y/N)'s face. If he ever got a chance with her, he did not want to lose it. So, he loosened the lasso, making sure Jerry isn't harmed, and said with his angelic voice, close to his ears, "Not so tough now, are you? Haven't your parents taught you not to lay hands on others? And that is coming from me. Ironic, isn't it, Jerry? If I ever see you here again, believe me, you will regret the day you were born in, and curse the day you came in to this opera house. You better not be seen here tomorrow, or the day after that, or the day after. You get the idea...right, Jerry?"

   Just like that, the phantom let go of the grip he had on him, and the lightning board operator immediately ran away. No one in the opera house saw him again after that day.

   Back to the scene... "Hello there," the masked man told (Y/N). "...Hi", she replied with a shaky breath. He stared at her for a few seconds.

"What on earth are you doing here alone?!"

(Y/N) was slightly shocked by his tone.

"I-I was just heading home."

"A pretty lady like you shouldn't really be wandering alone like that. You don't know what type of creep can come up to you at any time."

His tone went back to normal. She stood there for a moment still trying to analyze what happened seconds ago, but then she realized that he called her pretty. She softened up at the sound of that. Before she got to say something, he continued.

"Be careful next time, alright?"

She nodded, and he gave her a soft smile. He turned his back to her and was ready to go, only for her to speak.

"Um, phantom...? I've been wondering. What- What is your name?"

He stopped in his tracks.

"I don't have one."

"What? Sure you do. Everyone has one."

It was pure silence for a few seconds until he sighed.

"Men once knew me as Erik. Erik Destler. No one uses it now."

"Well, start counting, Erik Destler."

She said with a smile. He smirked back at her happily, but he took off quickly after that. He really doesn't like to be seen a lot, does he? She sighed.