Chapter VI: Eye Contact

"uuuUUGH", (Y/N) grunted as she turned off her alarm clock. Another day of rehearsals was ahead of her. She got off from her bed and proceeded with doing her morning routine. My skin looks pretty today, she praised herself. After washing her face and finishing her morning habits, she gathered up the positive vibes she needs to avoid a stressful day. "Alright, let's see," she spoke out loud while opening her closet. The woman had flawless fashion taste, but she hardly wore anything other than her casual clothes to the opera house. Today, an urge to look her best took over her... just in case the phantom was there observing. They had nice conversations last night, despite the part where he literally threatened to kill her... they'd be considered friends, no?

   "This is the one." She picked a dress of a nude red color and put it on. It complimented her hourglass body gorgeously. Her hair already had the volume she wanted. Brushing a strand here and a strand there, she looked naturally pretty. Yes, pretty. Then, she proceeded to put on a light nude lipstick tinted with red color. Some blush here, some mascara there, and she was ready to go.

   While (Y/N) was getting ready for her day, the phantom had just woken up. The sleep he got last night was the best he had in months. He didn't wake up tired, nor did he keep his stomach empty. He went up to the kitchen and made himself breakfast. It was weirdly a good mood he was in today. Maybe, just maybe, he could gain a friend in these upcoming days. And maybe, his days won't be that lonely anymore. However, cautious, he must be, for no one likes to end up in the same hurt once more.

~~~~~

   It was practice time...again. "1, 2, 3," George said and signaled the orchestra to start. The sounds of violin, piano, harp, and many other instruments mingled together forming such a soothing melody, with each sound mellower than the other. Every musician was focused on their part. (Y/N) lost herself in the music, but when she looked up from the piano keys, something caught her attention. Box 5. Black cloak.

   It was him, staring at her; she tried not to lose focus, but it was very difficult when the phantom's eyes were fixed on her. Hell, glued to her. He admired the way she played so eagerly yet so relaxed – the way her fingers smoothly embraced every note. He was just mesmerized by her.

   The two of them made intense eye contact. It was just him not being able to take his sight off of her, and her being captivated by how alluring the mutual gaze was. By now, the song was finished. (Y/N) had to look away, but he didn't. Something about her fascinated him. He wasn't quite sure what it was about her, but he found himself unable to stop looking.

   The musicians and the cast now started to practice the song from the second act of the opera. Just when everyone was doing their thing, they were interrupted by the pianist. "I-I'm sorry can we change this?", she asked. "What do you mean?", George replied with a baffled look on his face. "I don't know. The rhythm is just- listen to this. I believe, in the fourth measure, Peter is playing an A♯. Is that right Peter?", she asked Peter, the violinist, and he nodded. "If he changes that key to a C♭ and the note after that to a D♮, it would make much a nicer tone.", she continued. "Yes but wh-", before George got to finish his sentence, (Y/N) interrupted him again. "Hold on maestro I'm not finished. Then, I would play a glissando, and continue with a B♭ minor scale starting with a D♭ note," she explained. George gave a sheepish smile. He knew his musician was one of the best. "Alright, give it a shot," the maestro said and started listening to the rhythm (Y/N) suggested. She was right. Extremely right. It made the melody much, much nicer to listen to.

   After they finished, George congratulated her and everyone was giving her warm smiles. However, (Y/N)'s main focus was to see whether the phantom witnessed what she had done just now. Yet, Box 5 was empty. Disappointment overwhelmed her, but she tried not to make it take the best of her. After all, he's just a man she had met yesterday, right?

   Don't worry, he was there, and he was heavily impressed. The girl literally fixed an opera song. As her eyes were almost gripped to her figure, it hit him. Bminor scale. Dnote. That's right. Holy shit that's right. When the moment of realization hit him, he ran so fast to his lair that a cold breeze was created every time his leg overstep the other. At last, he entered his lair and sprinted to his organ. He started looking between his sheet music like a maniac, and when he found the paper he's looking for, he gently sat on the chair beside the organ. For the first time ever, he was nervous to touch his own instrument. His fingers pressed the keys and started playing. At the instant where he got to the part he wanted to change, he played the notes using the advice he heard (Y/N) give the orchestra. Finally, the melody he's been working on was completed.

   He continued the rest of the piece graciously, but then, he stopped. He held the paper and had never felt more alive for the first time in months. The joy he felt really can't be put in words. It was all because of her, a pianist, he, a genius musician and artist, had just met.

I need to see her. Right now. He wasn't sure why, or what he will do when he does, but he just had to see her. I need to hurry before practice is over and she heads home.