Chapter Forty-Two: Bitterness

"Yildirim."

Can, Serkan, and Efe ran as fast as they could to the ward and found Yildirim in the bed near the window.

"Mr. Can, it's nice to see you," Yildirim said.

"Are you okay?" Can said.

"I'm fine, Sir," Yildirim said. "But during our encounter, I shot Diletta in self-defense and she didn't make it. She'd dead."

Can sighed and sat down at the chair next to the bed.

"Yildirim, you told me you would tell me everything," Can said. "What is it?"

Yildirim sighed, and Serkan and Efe took their seats as well.

"Mr. Can, there's no other way to say this but," Yildirim said. "Your mother has been in league with Diletta all along. She knew Diletta killed Demet. And even today, we found from Diletta's phone how she threatened Miss Ozge."

Can looked down, then turned to Yildirim.

"And?" Can said.

"Mr. Can, your mother was the one who ordered to kill Kadir Gurel, Miss Ozge's father, in that helicopter crash," Yildirim said. "And she was the one who killed your father when he knew. I'm so sorry, Mr. Can."

Can felt like he couldn't breathe. His chest was closing and for a second, he was glad it was. He wanted to die. This truth was overwhelming. It was too much.

"I can't believe it," Serkan muttered. "And where is Aunt Guldem now?"

"She's in jail, Mr. Serkan," Yildirim said. "She will have her court trial tomorrow."

"Yildirim, thank you. Thank you for everything," Can said, then he stood up. "I'm going to where my mother is right now and settle this once and for all."

"We're coming with you," Efe said.

"No," Can said. "This is something I have to do myself."

***

"Ozge, where are you?!"

Evren asked Ozge through the phone. Perran, Yaren, and Evren were now at their hotel room, Perran pacing back and forth with worry. Perran took the phone from Evren.

"Ozge, where are you? Can is looking everywhere for you!" Perran exclaimed.

Ozge sat down at a cafe in Burano, near the canal, as tears fell from her eyes. She looked up as she spoke.

"Mom, I'm in Burano. Please don't tell Can. Please," Ozge said. "Just come here. Bring Evren too. I'll tell you everything when you get here. Leave now, Mom. And don't tell Can."

"Alright, alright, daughter," Perran said, then she hung up.

"What did she say, Mrs. Perran?" Evren said.

"We're going to Burano," Perran said. "Evren, Yaren, pack your bags. We're leaving right now. Ozge will tell us everything when we get there. Come on."

"Alright," Evren and Yaren said.

***

Ozge stared at her plate, fiddling with the food using her fork. She wiped every tear that fell, but it seemed never-ending. She looked up and there it was, her star. Shining brighter than any other star in the sky as it always did.

"Can, will you ever forgive me?" Ozge muttered.

***

"Guldem Yaman, you have a visitor."

The jail guard said as he let Can in. Guldem beamed as she saw her son, but Can had no expression.

"Can, my son, I'm so glad you're here," Guldem said. "Son, they're accusing me of lies and---"