Chapter 10: Stop you spiraling ,woman.

"Quick. Get out from the window", I whispered furiously.

Aiden stared at me, appalled.

"What the hell are you gawking at? Go. Move. Fast. Quick. You need to get out from the window."

"Police! Open up!"

"Why do you always have to be so impulsive and stupid? This is the 89th floor. I am not hanging out of any window.", he whispered back.

"Oh God. I am not getting arrested for you. I have a clean record. Not gonna happen. No. Get out.", I muttered angrily.

"First of all, all of the windows are sealed. Even if they weren't, I am not falling to my death for you. It is your fault the police are here anyways."

"Do you have any better idea? No na? Then listen to me-"

"Police! Open up or we will break the door! James! Break down this door.", the police officer bellowed outside the door.

"I am gonna get arrested. What will Dean and Carla say? Oh God, they wouldn't let me near my godson now that I am gonna become a convicted felon.", I murmured , panicking.

"Ah jeez, stop your spiraling woman."

"Look you have to- what are you doing, you idiot? We have to flee the scene!", I break off when I see Aiden strolling towards the door, all calm and composed as if we were not standing in the midst of a crime scene.

I mean, not a crime scene, obviously.

Ah, quick thinking on my feet, my arse. My employer will now know that my resume was falsely padded.

Oh my god. Everybody lies on their resume a bit right? It's not like I am the only one.

He is not going to fire me, right?

'But you wanted this na?', fires back my conscience.

Oh my god, what if he tells every business associate of his that I lied on my resume. A minuscule amount it was, that's it.

But what if no one believes me because of the mark on my record?

Oh my, I will become homeless, with no job prospects and a known criminal. My family will shun me. My friends will all shun me. Umm...I have to do something but what...what is it?

"Mam? Mam! Mam!? Are you okay?", a police officer was shaking me. I broke out of my reverie to see totally unconcerned Aiden and two totally concerned police officers staring at me.

"Huh? Ya, I am fine. How do you do?", I managed to squeak.

The officer ignored my question and quickly looked over my disheveled state. "Mam, are you sure you are okay and unharmed?"

"Uh..yeah", I replied, a little breathless from all the anxiety I was feeling.

"Mr. Aiden Salvatore here informed us of the situation . We received a 9-1-1 call from your number. Are you sure mam no one threatened you or anything? We would like to know if you are under any duress or not. Feel free to speak your mind, mam. You have nothing to fear."

"Oh, no. That's fine. I am totally okay. I just had a scare ,you know? I called 9-1-1 immediately but it was nothing so I cut the call. I didn't want you to waste your time."

I was actually proud of myself. I lied so smoothly, the Fixer would have been proud. I wanted to clap my own back now and kiss my own hands. Ha!

"Mam, we would like you to come down to the station with us. It would be better if-"
"W--why??? I told you I am fine. Nothing happened.", I interrupted anxiously.