Part 2, Chapter 17 "Broken"

Zacznij od początku

Mario nodded and took his brother away.

Dimentio POV

I watched Mario take Luigi away.

I knew that it was very likely that I'd never see Luigi again. I don't even know where Mario came from.

I slowly took my mask off and held it in my hand.

"Just a mask..." I muttered, before carefully snapping it in half.

I turned to face Daisy, L, and that random person, face now exposed.

L was leaning over that kid, crying.

Was this the kid Luigi told me about all that time ago? The one that ruined his life? What was he doing with L?

I walked over and helped Daisy up. I wrapped her arm around my shoulder so I could support her. She propped her sword up and used it as a cane.

"It's L!" She squealed into my ear. I nodded. "It is..."

She smiled, then pinched my cheek. "Aww, look at you! I don't know why you always cover your face up. It doesn't look bad or anything. Aside from the grey skin and yellow eye, you look like an average, 20 something year old attractive guy!"

I shook my head. "Well, when I was younger.... people thought I was....impure. I guess I used the mask to hide. It helped me feel...safe." 

She looked over at L. "Well, are you gonna talk to him?"

I hesitated.

"He's upset about that kid." I closed my eyes. "I...I can feel his soul was returned to him when the staff was smashed....but I feel a very weak pulse."

She nodded. "Well, then let's go. We'll take him to a hospital-"

Suddenly, I was tackled from behind. "GOTCHA!" Came a girl's voice. I yelped out in pain. My side was still giving me trouble, but only when someone randomly touched it. Daisy stumbled backwards and winced in pain when she stepped on her bad ankle.

I turned my head to see that pink toad on my back. Once she saw my face her eyes went wide. "Wait....false alarm, this isn't the guy. The clown wears a mask." She slowly got off my back, when she saw L.

She pointed at a yellow toad. "Tod! Get Luigi!"

He nodded, and hesitantly walked towards L. Then he grabbed his shoulders. "Sorry...." He muttered.

I tried running forward towards him, but that toad captain held me back. 

Mr. L latched onto the kid. "No! He's hurt! Please, help him!"

The toad, Tod's eyes softened. He looked down at the kid, then back at his Captain.

"Captain....Varian's injured. We need to get him medical assistance."

Captain Toadette shook her head. "What?! Luigi's right there. We have to arrest him."

Tod shook his head. "No. It comes down to this. We can either arrest a criminal, or save a life. And I choose to save a life." He slowly let L go, and picked up the kid. "Captain, I need your help lifting him. Please. This is what our job is about. Protecting people."

She slowly shook her head. "But, he's right there! We can finally catch him...."

Tod shook his head. "Captain...." 

She hesitated, before groaning and helping lift the kid. L held onto his hand tightly. "Where are you taking him?!" He asked, tears in his eyes.

I don't think I've ever seen L like this.