Get to know Philline Harms!

In celebration of Wattpad Books publishing Never Kiss Your Roommate we interviewed the author Philline Harms (aka writing00introvert)! You can buy your copy today wherever books are sold.

Philline Harms has been writing from the age of eleven and since joining Wattpad in 2016 her stories have garnered over five million reads. When she's not working on a story, she can be found curled up with a book, spending time with her friends, or crafting obscurely specific Spotify playlists. Philline is currently a university student residing in Germany.

What TV show are you currently obsessed with right now?

At the point of writing this it's not even out yet, but definitely SHADOW AND BONE! The SIX OF CROWS duology shaped me into the person I am—I hope future-me is as happy with the show when it comes out as I am right now with all the teasers and trailers I've seen so far lol.

What is one app you would not be able to go without using even for just one day?

Spotify! I always need some kind of background music while I'm working, whether that's writing or uni stuff. (Also Tik Tok. The amount of time I spend on that app every day... concerning.)

Who is your biggest hero?

This is extremely cheesy, but probably my mom? She's one of the most ambitious, kind-hearted people I know and she's the one who got me into reading and writing in the first place :,)

Where is your happy place?

My local cinema! I can't wait for it to open again once the pandemic is over—I would sell a kidney right now to have some quality popcorn and sit through five-thousand ads in one of those super cozy seats again.

Who is your OTP?

I love Wylan and Jesper's dynamic in SIX OF CROWS! Also Jake and Amy from BROOKLYN 99—say what you want about the show, their relationship is just the sweetest.

Can you describe your perfect writing area?

A café, preferably on a rainy day. Somewhere with lots of background chatter and a chill atmosphere where you can be both focused and take breaks to people-watch or have a hot drink.

What motivates you to work hard?

My own restlessness, honestly. I can't go very long without a project to work on and I just love shutting my laptop at the end of the day and knowing I've accomplished something. Also, my readers! Nothing more motivating than people yelling at you to update in the comments haha.

What makes you laugh the most?

My little sister! She's twelve and the funniest person I know without even trying to be. I also love watching John Mulaney's comedy specials on Netflix—I pretty much know his shows by heart by now, but his delivery still makes me laugh every time. He's my emotional support straight white dude.

What is your favourite animal?

100% cats. (I'm a lesbian, so I feel like this is just a given).

What are your hobbies?

Aside from writing, I love reading (who would have guessed?), baking and going on walks! I also have a mild obsession with those really specific personality tests. (Just now I took one called "choose some paintings and i'll tell you how much art thief energy you have"). Getting to know myself one U-Quiz at a time, baby.

How would your friends describe you?

I conducted a survey and apparently I am: hard-working, empathic, creative and have "sunshine energy". Sounds about right!

What is the tallest building you've been to the top in?

The Empire State Building! Unfortunately I can't remember much, for I was but fifteen years old and severely jet-lagged.

Who would you want to attend your dream dinner party? (dead or alive)

After a lot of thinking, I have landed on Hozier, Phoebe Bridgers, Mitski and Florence Welch. They're four of my favorite musicians and I feel like any conversation with them would be so interesting. Also, that way I could maybe get all four of them to collaborate on a song! I would probably die from the sheer power of it but, wow, what a way to go.

Is your glass half full or half empty?

I'd like to say half full, but I do have a pretty pessimistic streak some days, so... maybe one third full?

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

My horrible Wattpad username says it all.

If you had to describe yourself as an animal which one would you be?

My dad always compares me to a cat, which I can definitely see. I'm not particularly graceful, but I, too, like to just sit in patches of sunlight staring out the window and sleep half the day.

What is your favorite family holiday tradition?

I really love the way my family celebrates Halloween. It's not really a thing here in Germany, but I've somehow gotten them to embrace it. We always go way overboard decorating the house and baking Halloween treats, and I love spending the entirety of October forcing them to watch Tim Burton movies and horror films with me.

What are your pet peeves?

LOUD EATING SOUNDS.

What is your ideal way to spend a weekend?

I don't have a lot of time to write during the week, so I love spending the weekends really getting into the writing zone. Also, seeing my friends and maybe having a picnic or something!

Can you tell us what you're currently writing?

Right now I'm working on a sapphic witch book called "A Buried And A Burning Flame"! It's an idea I've had for at least three years now, and writing it has been even more fun than I expected. It's set around Halloween in a small town called Oakriver with tons of magickal stuff like tarot readings, baking magic and necromancy! Just... queer witches falling in love. What more could you want?