Get to know Natalie Walton

In celebration of publishing we interviewed the author Natalie Walton! You can buy your copy today wherever books are sold.

Natalie Walton has been writing for as long as she can remember, completing her first 'book' in second grade. She began posting her stories on Wattpad at the age of fourteen and has since amassed over eighteen million reads on her works. Natalie is a Delaware resident and wrote Revenge of the Sluts while being a full-time student at the University of Delaware, working toward her degree in sociology and criminal justice.

What is your favourite book?

I have a hard time with favorites because my taste changes so much, but I really love SHARP OBJECTS by Gillian Flynn. I've reread it a few times and every time I feel like I learn something new about the book and myself and it's the kind of book that I think has made me a better writer. As for YA, I read PARACHUTES by Kelly Yang a few months ago and still think about it constantly.

What TV show are you currently obsessed with right now?

I don't watch a lot of TV but I, along with pretty much everyone else, really loved the Queen's Gambit. I'm also rewatching the first season of The Bold Type on-and-off because I love my emotional-support straight couple (Richard and Sutton).

What is one app you would not be able to go without using even for just one day?

This is so embarrassing but I love TikTok. My FYP is mostly baking and DIY projects. It's really pleasant. Great way to destress.

Who is your biggest hero?

I honestly look up to Karin Slaughter so much. My mom got me on her books when I was maybe eighteen and I've read nearly every single one she's written. She writes her books with this amazing precision and excitement. I also admire Dolly Parton a lot for obvious reasons. Her song "Just Because I'm a Woman" was a go-to while writing Revenge of the Sluts.

What was the first story you ever wrote?

I wrote Naked Brothers Band fanfiction very briefly but very seriously in first grade. I filled an entire notebook. It was a weird time.

Where is your happy place?

This is kind of a weird one, especially in light of stay-at-home orders, but I miss public transportation. I get my best reading done on trains and buses. Planes, too. I like the feeling of being surrounded by strangers. But in a general sense, I love my room and my bed in particular. Very cozy.

Who is your OTP?

Veronica and Logan from Veronica Mars. Usually not a huge fan of bad boy plots but I love the show and the characters, second season in particular. I also love Will and Sara from the Will Trent series and can't help but physically smile whenever they have a scene together.

Can you describe your perfect writing area?

Very genuinely anywhere I can prop my feet up. I usually end up writing on my bed because it's more comfortable to me than sitting at my desk. But I honestly will write wherever--I used to regularly write sitting on the floor of a noisy campus building when I was in school--so I'm not particular.

What motivates you to work hard?

I'm a little bit motivated by spite and by the desire to show people that I can get stuff done and do it regardless of if they believe in me or not. It's kind of (very) petty and a little ridiculous, but I think it works. I also get restless when I'm in the same place, either mentally or professionally, for too long, so I'm constantly looking for the next thing.

What makes you laugh the most?

I can't think of any particular instance but my friends come to mind. I also usually end up making myself laugh but about things that only I'd find funny, you know what I mean? I do watch a lot of Emma Chamberlain videos, too, which genuinely make me laugh. She's the only YouTuber I actively watch, I think because it feels like being on FaceTime with someone but without the required effort of contributing to a conversation.

What is your favourite animal?

Quokkas! So cute.

What are your hobbies?

I read a lot, which is unsurprising. But I love puzzles and board games, too, because I insist on sounding like the most boring person alive. I also watch a lot of American football--like, a lot. Skol Vikings--because we put it on in the room where I like to do my aforementioned activities. I bake at least once a week, too.

What is your favorite quote from a book/movie/play?

Just the entirety of Heathers (1988).

How would your friends describe you?

I'm an aggressive over-sharer for better or for worse. And a total binge-writer. And I guess maybe independent? I don't know what to call it. I love doing things on my own time and genuinely enjoy being alone with my thoughts which turns me into a little bit of a space cadet. It's all very Pisces of me.

Who would you want to attend your dream dinner party? (dead or alive)

Gillian Anderson. Or, honestly, the entire cast of Sex Education. They seem like a really fun bunch.

Is your glass half full or half empty?

Half full!

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

Introvert, for sure.

What is your favorite family holiday tradition?

We do a huge breakfast for basically every holiday that I always look forward to. I love anything that involves breakfast foods, especially cinnamon rolls.

What are your pet peeves?

Chewing noises and damp clothing.

What is your ideal way to spend a weekend?

Quietly! I like waking up early and then having the chance to do things when I want to, like read or watch a movie or bake. I get my best writing done on low-pressure days.

Can you tell us what you're currently writing?

A sapphic YA romance! It's a little bit of a tonal shift from Revenge of the Sluts, but I'm really excited to write an own-voices romance and put my energy toward something not as serious. I'm also working through some outlines for a few other books, but they're all so up in the air I can't offer any teasers yet.