1; The City

The cold breeze hit Delilah as she stepped out of the car

The cold breeze hit Delilah as she stepped out of the car. She took a deep breath and smiled before opening the back door and taking Dewey. She looked up at Eric and smiled, making him roll his eyes and get out of the car.

"Eric," Jack talked stepping out of the car as well, "don't roll your eyes to your mother." He scolded.

"I don't wana be here." He talked upset, "All my fr-"

"Friends are in Philadelphia." Jack finished for him, "You're only nine!" He frowned, "You have plenty of time to make friends." He opened the trunk and took their bags.

They stepped into the apartment block and into the elevator.

"You'll see, Eric." Delilsh smiled, "You're going to love the house."

"Yeah, I don't think--" He paused as soon as the elevator opened its doors revealing the living room, "--so."

"Told you." Delilah looked at Jack.

•••

"Jack!" The woman called him as she put on her coat, "I am going to Topanga's," She talked and he walked to her, "I was going to visit her but she just went into labor and the girls are home alone." She walked towards the elevator.

"Wait!" He stopped her, "I gotta go to work in half an hour." She frowned

"Jack, we just moved in," She talked in confusion, "can't you miss a day?"

"No, I can't." He answered and she sighed waiting for him to say something else, "Maybe you could take the boys with you."

"Of course that's the solution." She rolled her eyes and walked upstairs.

"What do you mean?" He asked from the entrance looking at her.

"Nothing," She muttered, "don't worry."

She knocked on the older's room and opened.

"Eric, we're going to your aunt's, get ready." She walked into the baby's room and took him before walking downstairs with him and Eric and placing him on the baby cart.

"Lilah," Jack called her, "I'm sorry, ok?" He talked quietly, not wanting Eric to hear.

"We'll talk later."

And with that, they left.

•••

"Hello?" Delilah opened and saw Riley and Maya sitting on the couch talking to each other. Both girls snap pero their heads to her and Riley smiled widely as Delilah entered with her sons.

"Auntie!" She jumper down the sofa and huged her.

"Hey, Riley!" She Hughes back.

"Hi!" Eric waves at her shyly.

"Eric!" Riley Hughes him, too.

"So, this is Maya?" Delilah closed the door and took off her coat before leaving it on the armchair.

"Yes," Riley smiled as the woman took off Eric's coat, "she's my best friend!"

"That's amazing to hear!" She left Eric's coat with hers and moved Dewey's baby cart to sit next to the girls with Eric, "I'm Delilah, nice to meet you." She smiled at the blonde girl.

"Hi," She smiled back weakly.

"Auntie, auntie!" Riley jumped, "Let me show you the drawing of my mom I did!" She ran upstairs and Delilah chuckled.

"Eric, do you want a juice box?" She asked and the boy nodded, "You, Maya?" The kid shook her head and Delilah nodded before walking to the kitchen.

"Why are you sad?" She overheard Eric ask the little girl.

"My dad left," She answered, "he's not coming back."

Delilah's heart shattered at the little girl's words, but Eric's words broke her completely.

"If it helps," He started, "my dad is never around either. Is almost like he left."

•••

"Hey, how was it?" Jack talked as he entered the apartment where Delilah sat watching TV.

"Good," She smiled weakly, "Topanga had a beautiful healthy baby boy."

Jack smiled leaving his thing on the entrance and walked towards the kitchen walking behind the sofa where she was. When he passed behind her, he bent down pecking her lips.

"That's amazing!"

"Yeah, I thought," She paused, "maybe we could visit them tomorrow at the hospital?" She suggestes, "My parents will be there, too. We could take the chance to see them." She stood up and walked towards him, "It's been a long time since we've seen them."

"Yeah, the thing is," He looked at her, "I am pretty busy with work."

"You can't take a few minutes to visit my family?" She frowned.

"I'm sorry, love."

"Yeah." She looked down, "Goodnight."

She walked away and heard Jack sigh loudly, but ignored him.

"Mom?" She heard Eric call her from his room and she stepped in.

"What happens?" She smiled sweetly kneeling next to him.

"Is dad going to leave like Maya's dad?"

"What?"

"Maya said his dad left for work and he didn't come back." He explained, "Is dad leaving?"

"No!" She answered, "Dad's not going anywhere, ok?" Eric nodded, "Go back to sleep baby." She kissed his forehead and left the room.

When she opened she met face to face with Jack, who she assumed had been listening because of the look on his face. She started at him for a few seconds before moving to the side and leaving.

What a start to a new era.