IV

After the movie was over, Isabelle stood, stretching her arms and legs

After the movie was over, Isabelle stood, stretching her arms and legs. "That movie was pretty boring."

"Yeah," Anen replied.

Isabelle smacked her arm. "Don't pretend you even watched it. I thought you were going to hyperventilate half of the time."

Anen rolled her eyes, even though the statement was true. Something about being that close to Ben made her lungs not want to work properly.

"Anyway," Isabelle said as she looped her arm through Anen's, "it's almost time for the sports to start. Are you ready to see whose team you're on?"

"Not really," she replied.

"It's going to be fine, Anen."

She highly doubted that, but she still allowed her friend to lead her over to the sheets to learn her fate.

Anen scanned the teams with a growing sense of trepidation. She found Ben's name, and she wasn't on the same team as him. Or even the same team as Isabelle. But the name right under hers read: Mia Pierce. Anen's heart sank into her stomach. Mia was on her team?

"I thought you said Mia didn't sign up."

Isabelle glanced at the list. "She wasn't earlier. She must have changed her mind."

There was a sinking feeling in her gut, and she turned to glare at Isabelle. "This was a terrible idea."

Her friend gave a shrug of her shoulders. "I'm sure it'll work out just fine."

Anne doubted it would be fine, but there wasn't much to do now. Maybe she could fake an injury and get out of this whole thing. Or more likely, she would get injured. Then she could just sit on the sidelines and watch Ben.

Basketball would be right here in the gym, so Anen stood on the sidelines with Isabelle while the rest of the students filed out of the gym, off to play board games and watch more movies. Anen wished she was going with them.

Board games would be much more fun than this.

But Coach Walters was already stepping out of his office with the large box of colored jerseys. Anen took a green one, which smelled of old sweat and cheap laundry soap, and begrudgingly put it on.

Isabelle wore a yellow one, which hung off her slight frame comically. She crossed her arms over her chest.

"I wish they would get rid of these disgusting things."