He deadpans. "No, I knew you were crazy and uptight and too high maintenance to even learn people's names, but you're not the same outside of work."

"Because I only have one mission at work, and that's to be successful."

"You do realize that working with people means getting along with them, right?"

"Yes, but I expect people to be data-driven and let the facts speak for themselves. It's not a playground, we're not there to make friends."

"Sorry to break it to you, but you're not going to climb the ladder with that attitude."

His words strike a nerve as images of Gia's deflated face and the Ritz executives' dismissive chuckles flash in my head. Lucas seems to catch my reaction, and gives a soft shrug. "But you can change, you know? You don't need to walk around with a stick shoved up your ass. This unreserved version of you will bring you more success than any excel sheet in your computer."

I chew on another fry, taking in his words. "Why are you so helpful to me, Lucas?"

"Why?" He repeats, as if he doesn't know the answer himself. "I guess... there must be something in for me too." He looks away, but sighs when I don't answer and continues. "Maybe I don't want the VP role as much as you. Maybe I need your help as much as you need mine."

I snort with a fake laugh. "Yeah, right. The infamous ass who's been belittling me in front of our boss for the last four years is suddenly going to let me have the VP role? You think I'm stupid?"

"You think so little of me, as if I haven't been helpful to you the last two weeks." He says dryly.

"You have." I narrow my eyes, leaning closer to whisper. "That's why I'm suspicious."

"Trust issues through the roof." He sings, taking a piece of chicken in his mouth. Hot sauce lingers on his lips before he licks it away. His sharp jaw moves as he chews, drawing my attention to the lower half of his face. Only when he clears his throat with that deep voice I snap out of it. "Do you remember when we met four years ago?"

I blink a couple of times at the sudden question, then try to dig in my memory. "Um... vaguely. Why?"

"You were new. I was doing something on the computer when you approached me with a nerdy smile, chirping like a bird from a fucking cartoon as you introduced yourself. You were following me around like a lost puppy, asking questions about the office and whatnot, even had a little notebook to write down everything I was saying. Pretty sure you called me your sensei at some point."

"Excuse you." I blush furiously, drawing my arms around myself. "I remember no such thing. You were probably dreaming. Do you dream about me often, Lucas?"

He rolls his eyes. "Don't flatter yourself, I found you as annoying back then as I do now. But at least we were friends for a week or so, before you switched on me."

"I switched on you?" I bunch my eyebrows in concentration. "Why? What'd you do?"

"You really don't remember?" He asks, then clicks his tongue when I stare back with a blank expression. "I guess being drunk didn't help..."

"Did you sexually harass me? Cause I would've sent you to jail if you did."

Lucas grits his jaw with impatience, eyes hardening on me. When I don't budge, he reaches his finger towards my face and flicks my forehead. "You were going on and on about your dreams of becoming a leader, then Grant came and blurted out that he was married to my sister, and your whole face just dropped like he had confessed to a murder."

"You think that's why I changed towards you?" I smile, though it doesn't reach my eyes.

"Didn't you? You started avoiding me after that happy hour. I figured you thought I got the job because I was family and hated me for it."

"No, Lucas. I mean sure, maybe that played a role. Can you blame me, though?"

"Then what was it? What made you suddenly so repulsed by me?"

"Maybe you should be the one refreshing your memory."

"Care to help?" He raises an eyebrow, tone serious. It makes me sigh and put my food down.

"When you left, Grant started going on and on about how incredible you are, how he planned to expand into new ventures with you. I was in awe, I was ready to become your mentee to learn from you. But then I came to talk to you about it, remember?"

Now he's the one frowning, and I'm the one shaking my head with a bitter smile. "Lucas, climbing the ladder is more than just about the title. It's also about my dad and making sure he's proud of me. I came to you inspired and hoping to learn, but you know what you did? You told me you don't even care about Grant's plans. And that really disappointed me."

He tilts his head to the side, voice low and serious. "Why would you be disappointed in my own decisions?"

"Because here you are, not giving a shit about something that's going to be handed to you, while I'm over here dreaming about it. I would kill for Grant to think of me the way he thinks of you, so forgive me for being bitter."

"Which takes me back to you making assumptions, Layla. Ever realized I might have my reasons for not caring?" His eyes harden.

Tension passes between us with anger and confusion. I mean, how many times am I supposed to run around, making guesses and asking questions with no straight answers?

"I can't just trust your motives in the dark, Lucas. I'm a fact-driven person, I need clear reasons to believe in something. And you, expecting me to just take your careless, vague crumbles of answers isn't going to suffice for me. You want to be friends? Friends are honest, friends trust each other. And you don't seem capable of that."

"I don't seem capable of that?"

"No, I mean look at us. I just opened up to you about my dad and all you give me are bits and pieces. You need to take accountability for my lack of trust in you and make effort."

Lucas leans back in his seat, arms stretched across the table. I resume eating, ignoring his gaze on me. I've said my piece, the ball is in his court. And I don't care if I've said too much to him, one of us has to make the first step.

"Alright." He finally says. His tone is softer, smaller, gentler. It makes me look up at him, and the depth in his eyes as he stares back makes me stop eating. "I'll show you one thing. And if that doesn't give me some credit in the trust department, then nothing will."

~

~ A/N ~

Are we feeling positive or negative about what's to come? We should vote to wish them luck! <3