Lucas seems taken back by that, and frankly so am I. This got deeper than it needed to be, and I have no clue where it came from.

"And besides." I continue, looking out the window. "You're the same way. I bet this entire thing is a competition to you. I don't know what you're getting at, whether you're trying to play your games on me or find out more about me, but you and I both know that at the end of the day, we're fighting for a promotion and that's going to take precedence over everything else."

"That's a big assumption." He says simply, making me turn my head to him.

"What is?"

"All of it. You make a lot of assumptions."

"Maybe I wouldn't have to make so many assumptions if you were straight-forward for once."

He sighs, running a hand through his hair. "Fuck, you're frustrating."

"Right back at ya." I glare, looking away.

"Can you just tell me what you want to eat?" He clips, prior lightness soured.

For some reason, guilt tugs at his defeat, and I find my scowl soften. "Hot wings."

~

The waitress takes our order, lingering a flirtatious smile at Lucas before strutting away. And interestingly, Lucas doesn't seem to care.

Even at the lesbian bar, he didn't pay attention to the half naked dancers. And when Casey mentioned their first date, she noted he kept it PG. Makes me wonder who he really is...

"Are you straight?" I ask, closing my lips around the straw of my coke glass.

Lucas chokes on his water. "The shit that comes out of your mouth."

I lean forward with an inspecting gaze. "Cause it explains a lot. You take care of yourself, you have great taste, you're sassy, and you don't look at women. I even tried to seduce you that one time and you weren't fazed."

"Would you like me to prove how straight I am?" He holds me with his eyes for one promising second, eyes darkening with a mischievous smirk. "Cause I remember you breathing heavy and turning red when you were sitting on me."

"Because that was inappropriate." I roll my eyes. "Besides, my reaction has nothing to do with your orientation. At least check the validity of your arguments."

"And here I was, hoping for a peaceful meal." Lucas puts his hands together and closes his eyes. "Dear God, please have mercy and put a zipper around this woman's mouth. I'm too young to go to jail, but I will if I have to."

"You would not survive a day in jail with that pretty face." I smirk. Lucas is about to respond but the waitress comes back with our food and nothing else matters anymore. "Yes!"

I grab a piece of wing and dip it in ranch, then go for a bite. The spicy, juicy, crunchy yet soft texture meets my tongue and I can't help the little moan of starvation that escapes out of me. "So good..."

"Anything else I can get for you?" The waitress asks, eyeing Lucas and ignoring me, of course.

"No, but thanks for asking me too." I smirk at her while chewing. She glares at me for a moment, but then decides better and leaves.

Lucas gives me a strange look, a mixture of shock and amusement. I just shrug with annoyance. "Fucking hate when people do that. I'm clearly sitting right here." I go for a curly fry, stuffing two in my mouth.

Lucas chuckles under his breath, shaking his head as he attends to his own portion. "You're really not what I imagined."

"Adorable, hilarious, and brilliant? I already knew you weren't sharp. Don't worry."