10

Elly's view

I had been on the road  for at least an hour and had finally calmed down.

My sister thinks she can judge about other people? It's not her place to do so.

She's family, but also family doesn't need to know everything at all times. I know it's not good to hide things from the people you love, but I knew she would react like that. That's why I wanted to explore this between Oscar and me first, before other people put themselves in it.

I didn't pay attention  to where I was going. Not very smart, but who reacts rationally when  angry? My legs were getting tired so I looked around. I didn't know any of the streets around me. Man, where did I end up? I walked further away than I thought.

I took out my phone to  see where I was, but the screen was black. No charge. Shit, shit, shit.

I had no idea which way was the right one to go back, so I wandered around for a while, but couldn't find my way.  Nothing seemed familiar .

There was no other way. I needed to ask someone for help. Preferably a woman or a kid to reduce the risk of the person robbing, raping or murdering me.

There was nobody like that to be found and I was exhausted, tired and unmotivated. So I sat on the curb with my head in my hands and  stared at the street. I sat there for what felt like an eternity until I saw three men walking in my direction. I had no idea who they were and  tried to guess whether they meant help or danger.

Then I discovered a well-known tattoo on the hand of one of the guys, the Santos Cross.  Thank you, God. I jumped up and ran to the guys. They stopped confused  when they noticed I was heading to them.

Elly: "Hey, sorry that I'm bothering you ..."

Guy: "You could never bother us, bella dama."
He smiled at me and was clearly trying to flirt.

The Santo next to him poked him in the ribs with his elbow.
Santo: "Ese, get your shit together. That's Spooky's girl."

I was surprised that he knew me. But at that moment I was more than fine with it.
Elly: "Exactly, and he has to know that I'm here, but my phone died."

Santo: "No problem at all."
He took his phone out of his pocket and called Oscar. He didn't answer the phone immediately, but at the third try I heard Oscar's voice at the other side. He sounded stressed.

Oscar: „Qué?!"

Santo: „Hola Spooky. Escucha, estoy en High Park Street, cerca de la farmacia. Tu ruca está aquí. Ella me pidió que te llamara."

I couldn't hear what Oscar answered, but it didn't sound so stressed anymore.

Santo: „Ah bien. Entiendo. Lo haré. Adiós."
When he hung up the phone, the Santo told his friends to keep going without him. Then he sat next to me on the curb.

Elly: „Thank you. Really. You are my lifesaver."

He chuckled softly.
Santo: „No problem. I'm always happy to help. Something bad could have happened if you would have met the wrong people tonight."

Elly: „I know. It was stupid to walk that far away."

Santo: „But in the end it all went well. That's what counts. And besides, I get plus points with Spooky."
He grinned.

After a few minutes Oscar's red Impala pulled up next to us, clearly a few kmh/miles too fast.

When he got out of the car, Oscar ignored me. He went over to the Santo and thanked him. Then they talked a few sentences in Spanish which I didn't understand. After that the Santo left.