The Sword In The Lake

Start from the beginning

Arthur's lip curled slightly at the thought of Hunith running after Merlin as he grew up, always finding new shenanigans to tangle himself in.

"And he's stronger than you give him credit for. He can handle himself. He might not be as handy with a sword, but he has other attributes that will keep him safe. I'm sure of it."

This received an audible chuckle from the prince. "I mean, on one hunting trip he did talk a bandit out of killing us."

"You see?!" Hunith laughed at the thought. Little did Arthur know, Merlin's ability to talk bandits to death hadn't been what she referred to.

The pair lingered in the moment of serenity before their minds slowly sank back into the reality of the situation. 

"You will stay the night. There is no question about it."

<<>>

"We've been through this before, Merlin, but you're going to go through it again." Morgause stalked in front of the boy tied to the chair. She noticed him looking desperately passed her, trying to catch Morgana's eye who stood at the edge of the room. 

It was midday, and light spilled through the stained windows creating a pleasant and peaceful atmosphere, contrary to what was actually transpiring within the king's chambers. Uther remained placid at his desk, going about his business as usual under the orders of Morgause. Occasionally, he glanced up at the scene before him, attempting, in vain, to regain his will.

"I implore you to be honest with me this time. I do have plans for you if you refuse and I'm warning you, it is not pleasant."

Merlin refused to look at Morgause, continuing to try and catch the eye of Morgana. 

"Do you understand?"

He didn't answer her.

"That's not a good start, Merlin." She came closer. "But we can begin nonetheless." She gave him a menacing smile. "You are a dragonlord. There's no question about it, there's no point trying to lie to me or my sister because we know."

"I don't know what you're talking about." He gritted his teeth, repeating something he had told Morgause many times in the past few days."

"As you've said." Morgause turned to her sister and raised an eyebrow.

"No," Morgana said. "He's lying. He is a dragonlord. I saw it. I saw him speak to Aithusa, I saw him change his will."

"Do you think he's lying?"

"Yes. How could he not be?"

"It is possible he speaks the truth. You cannot be born a dragonlord. It is a power inherited only from father to son, but only after the father dies."

"But Merlin's father..." Morgana looked to the servant.

"You don't know, do you?"

"I thought he died."

"That's what the boy claims."

"But you think..."

"I think he's lying. I think he's lying to protect his father. If his father is alive, he may be hiding him."

"I'm not!" Merlin protested. "I've told you, I've never met him!! He was gone before I was born!!" Morgana and Morgause ignored him and continued to have their conversation. 

"We could go to his village and interrogate his mother."

Morgana watched as Merlin's eyes grew wide. "No!! Please leave my mother alone! She's innocent! Don't hurt her!!"