19. Day Fourteen of Learning

Start from the beginning

Registering all the work he does, I shake my head almost in disbelief. "I can't imagine working so hard."

"You do, Aurora."

I look up at him.

"From the day you got here, you've been trying to get things done. Whether it's being on the phone, arranging meetings or making sure Jenna gets her things done. Maybe it's not always for your career, but that's not all life's about."

"You mean with the wedding?" I try to laugh off the fact that he told me I work hard because I'm the laziest person I know. "Those things are fun."

Elliot watches me, smiling "Have you had dinner?" he asks.

Gladly taking the change of subject, I nod. "I have."

"Did you want a snack? Some juice?"

"I'll take some juice," I tell him and Elliot nods and stands. "Apple juice." I clarify, stamping down a smile.

Pulling open the refrigerator door, Elliot tries to glare at me from over his glasses, but is smiling. He turns his head to rummage through it and I watch him like the creep that I am.

Elliot has always been good looking - one of the best-looking men that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting - but the glasses and the small smile that he's wearing add a certain je ne sais quoi to his charm. His hair, usually neat and combed like a cover model's, is now slightly disheveled, like it got messed up as he was getting dressed and he never fixed it.

The glasses rest low on the bridge of his perfect nose as he looks above them into the refrigerator. The t-shirt that he's wearing is loose on him and the short sleeves show off his strong arms. His lips –

"Apple juice," he declares, displaying a carton to me while shutting the door with his foot. He walks over to me after picking up two glasses and pours some for me before pouring for himself. Standing in front of me, leaning against a kitchen counter, he eyes me as he pours. "You know, I've noticed," he says, as I take a sip, "That you seem quite partial to juice."

My eyes widen a little wondering how he realized that, but then again, it's probably the same way I know that he eats fruit the first thing in the morning and unlike Ray, he doesn't drink water in the midst of his meal. "I love juice," I tell him, "Drinks in general. My mom makes juice for me almost every day, which makes me realize, you know, no one's ever going to love you like your Mom."

"Do you miss them? Being here?" he asks.

I nod.

Quiet for a moment, Elliot smiles: "I know it's not the same, but there's always juice in the fridge."

I laugh.

"No M&Ms at home, I'm afraid."

I shake my head. "Blasphemous."

He takes a sip. "Can I ask you something?" Elliot questions, fixing me with his gaze.

"The rumours are true," I reply, gravely, "The Twitter bird's name is Larry."

Stopping in his tracks, Elliot laughs at my response. "While that is a fantastic thing to learn, I wanted to ask you about Jenna." He sighs. "Did some douchebag actually go out with her because he just wanted to add another girl to the mix?" Unlike I've seen him, Elliot looks a little enraged on behalf of his sister, who just shrugged it off.

I shift my weight between my feet. "I don't –"

"Please, Aurora," Elliot's brows are furrowed, "Jenna will never tell me. She's my sister. I know it doesn't really matter anymore because she's getting married to a great girl who she loves, but I - I still do want to know. Call it the annoying curiosity of an older brother."