Chapter #9

Me-Crazy walks a bit farther from me with her arms crossed in front of her chest, like suddenly she got a little self conscious. Or probably not. It was getting colder after it turned out the next bodega was a little farther away than I expected. So she was just starting to freeze in her crop top and timberlands while I have it real cozy in my gap sweater, dried blood and everything.

And then I see it, we are walking towards the gas station where-

"Didn't your mom die here?" Me-Crazy comments, pointing vaguely with a curled finger. The small bubble sags in front of her mouth and she pulls it in with her tongue.

I don't say anything. I strut past her and don't stop until I'm at the spot where the SUV parked. There were still skid marks remaining from where the car had squealed off and ripped me from the life I had always known. That was gone now. But a wind catches in the air and I watch as a few leaves perfectly follow the skid marks and it's almost like their ghost of my parents have come back for a bit to guide them.

Someone screams behind me and then there's footsteps slapping towards me, hands slapping my shoulder and then as I don't move she hooks her arm through mine and pulls me after herself.

"Don't worry, I got the henny!" She shouts, her voice echoing across the wide parking lot, like this would be the only reason I would not follow her if she didn't have it.

I look behind my shoulder as I run and almost stumble over my own feet. There's the gas station owner holding a phone into the air to show that he had called the police but when he sees me his expression changes from anger to confusion and his arm sinks.

I could turn around now and this madness would immediately stop.

I don't have to follow Me-Crazy back to that slum and wake up the next day on that hard mattress again. If I would wake up. Anything could happen at that place by what I've seen so far, and at any moment.

I feel butterflies building up in my stomach at the thought of admitting everything to the police. Me-Crazy had unlatched from me to run faster, so it wouldn't be impossible to just bend off and run back to the gas station. I could totally do it.

But as I continue up the street those butterflies are steamrolled by the unforgiving rush of adrenaline as I curve around the corner.

I bump into Me-Crazy when she is catching her breath. She pushes me back with the bottle she's pressing into my hands, and I come to a halt.

It almost feels like she's rewarding me for staying and I wonder, what makes her stay? Sure, she wouldn't exactly fit the profile to seek help by the police but she didn't have to stay with Alanche either.

So many thoughts running inside my head and the only way I know to soothe them is to screw the bottle open and take a gulp.

As the liquid warms my throat I spy out something resembling a cabin in the distance, which is like the match to the alcohol because it lights up something like hope in me.

"Hey, do you see that? Or am I just imagining things now,"

"What?"

"That cabin over there, that's a cabin right?"

She turns for like a milisecond, her face pulled in a scowl. I don't understand why she is mad all of a sudden until her eyes fall on the bottle.

I offer it to her.

"You should show some gratitude," Is all she says before she continues up the street, back towards Alanche's like a cat that always finds its way home no matter how far it strays.