I hug them both in greeting before pulling away, and Zeke begins to point out someone and hand me a disposable camera.

The woman he points out is the live wedding painter they hired for the occasion, and he tells me I get to be one of the people who is tasked with taking pictures for the night if I want to be. He makes sure to let me know I can always hand the camera off to Vaughn if I don't want it. And then he grins and walks away.

"Why not just hire a wedding photographer?" I ask Vaughn as Zeke begins talking with who I assume to be unfamiliar relatives, given how Ivan has his arm slung around them.

Next to Ivan is a younger woman who looks to be in her thirties.

That must be his new girlfriend.

I remember walking past brick buildings, seeing newspapers criticizing him for his words about Ethan's mental condition. But they hadn't said anything about him getting a girlfriend so soon after Katelynn's death. That I learned from Vaughn and Si, and the latter was exceptionally upset over it. I mean, it's been what, a matter of months since the funeral?

I look away as Vaughn answers.

"They did. They're also doing this, to get more than one person's viewpoint of the evening. They thought it might be more fun to include this, too."

"Oh, okay," I nod, pretending to understand. And then I glance up and notice the look on his face.

"Wait, is my makeup or hair messed up or something?" Why is he looking at me like that?

He shakes his head as if trying to clear his mind before clearing his throat and looking down for a second.

"No, not at all, it's just...you look pretty in the dress, and...you're just breathtaking, Mik."

My eyes widen, and my heart starts to race.

Me?

I'm breathtaking?

To him?

A direct compliment? And he doesn't look like he immediately wants to take it back?

Instead, he stays scanning my face, as if trying to gauge my reaction. I feel my cheeks heat and know I'm turning very red very fast.

I decide to just thank him, but immediately after I open my mouth, my name's called from behind me. Glancing at the source of the shout, I see Zeke waving me over, to presumably meet someone.

When I look back to thank Vaughn, he's gone.

I wish I was brave enough to tell him that I think he's breathtaking, too.

...

The ceremony and the dinner were lovely. I think. I don't have much experience with weddings, after all. But I do keep hearing mentions of the word, 'perfect' and how delicious the various foods served were, so I assume it truly was.

I mean, I thought the pasta and the lobster were good, but again, I don't have much experience with lobster, either.

Now people are dancing under the dark sky and the glowing lights, probably to warm up because the temperature has dropped a significant amount since the ceremony. Either way, everyone is still finding joy despite jarring deaths, and I think maybe that's a big part of what life sometimes is.

From my spot standing at the edge of the crowd, on the side near the forest, I watch as Vaughn grins at something he's told, and something - happiness, I think - rushes through me.

I quickly look away, afraid to be caught staring.

There's a long sigh from behind me, and I turn to see Siara in front of me. I smile, unsure why she sighed, but she speaks before I can say anything.