Chapter Fourteen

I'm very flexible in where I can fall asleep. I had a squeaky, twin sized bed when I was living with my human family. So when I got my own humongous bed at Havenfield that felt like sleeping on clouds, it felt like absolute heaven. But my standers didn't change. I could still fall asleep on a wooden floor with no pillows or blankets if I was really tired and wanted to. I could fall fall asleep anywhere. Yet right now, it felt like my eyes were glued open and refueled to close. I'm pretty sure if I died right now, my eyes would still be wide open.

I can't help it though. I've never gone to sleep with another person in bed with me.

Keefe seemed to be fine with it, as I could hear him lightly snoring from the other side of the pillow wall we created to make sure neither of us crossed the line.

I wish I could see him- no. Bad Sophie. You shouldn't watch people while they sleep, that's creepy.

I sigh and turn on my side to check the time.

1:07am

Eh. Still time to try and fall asleep. I try to at least close my eyes and rest when I hear a noise.

I listen again, seeing if I just imagined it. Another small noise. I sit up and look at Keefe's curled up figure. He hugs his pillow tightly and whimpers.

"No, no, no. I'm sorry." His voice breaks in his sleep, making my heart ache. I shake him, trying to wake him up.

"Keefe. Keefe, wake up, it's a nightmare. Keefe, wake up." His eyes snap open as he jolts awake.

"Foster?" He rubbed his eyes.

"You were having a nightmare." I explained.

"Oh sorry, did I wake you?" He apologized.

"I was already awake." I shrugged. "Do you want to talk about it?"

He bit his lip. I unwillingly noticed how cute he looked in his Batman shirt and messy hair.

"It was just another nightmare about my mom." He looked down, and I could see his eyes tearing up.

I moved the pillow wall, hesitatingly pulling my arms around him and running my finger though his hair, trying to sooth him.

"It's okay, it was just a dream." I softly whisper in his ear.

I can feel him slowly relaxing and falling back to sleep. My hands get tired and stop running my fingernails on his back and though his hair. Soon, my mind starts to drift off and for once, I finally fall into a relaxed state of sleep.

I was surprised when I woke up buried in Keefe's chest with his arm holding me close while his hand played with the strands of my hair. His other arm was busy being my pillow.

I was mostly surprised that I didn't wake up in the middle of the night like I usually do.

I laid there for awhile, wondering if Keefe knew I was awake. It was beyond relaxing, feeling his hand play with my hair while I breathed in this thick scent of orange ginger.

"Keefe?" I asked after I was somewhat awake.

"Hmm?"

"What time is it?" I mumbled.

"Twelve." He mumbled back.

"WHAT?" I asked, bolting up.

He laughed and propped his head up on his hand. "I figured you would react like that. I was going to wake you but then I remembered we literally have nothing else to do so..."

I thought about that. He was right. We literally have nothing to do. No more Neverseen, no more Black Swan, no more council, no more anything.

"Huh. That's weird. I haven't had nothing to do in a long time." I thought about for another second. "I think I like it."