Chapter Nine

I've never liked running. I mean, running sucks but I'm talking about running from problems.

I like to stay, figure it out and move on. That's what I do, I solve problems. But what happens when there a problem I can't solve?

I slowly sat on the couch in the crowded room. Everyone was staring at me.

"Did I do something?" I asked as I played with my red skirt.

"We don't know, that's what we're here to talk about."

My heart pounds as Emery pulls out a price of paper.

"Everyone here is worried for you and we can't come up with any reason to why you've been acting so strangely lately other than the reason that you've been hiding something."

"You have no prof of that." My voice was firm but I could feel my hands start to shake.

"Tell us why you canceled your cognate sessions with Mr. Vacker."

"Is that what this is about? Your mad that I canceled our telepathy lessons?"

My question was directed at Fitz but he wouldn't look at me.

"Answer the question."

"I'm just not comfortable around him anymore. I don't trust him." Fitz flinched and I almost smiled.

"Did he do something for you to not trust him?"

"That none of your-" Fitz cut me off, and I was shocked to see the sudden sadness on his face.

"No, I didn't do anything. I'm just so confused on why she doesn't want to do this anymore." He's on the verge of tears at this point.

My jaw dropped. There's no way this is real. He must be a really good actor.

He walked over to me and knelt in front of me, taking my hands in his.

"Please tell me what I did, Sophie. I can fix it." I catch a small smirk as my eyes meet his. I knew it.

"You know what you did." If he got to fake things, so did I.

"Please tell me. I'm so sorry, I'll do anything. I just don't know what I did wrong..." he sniffled and I had to restrain myself from smirking.

"Fine, I tried to be civil about this, but since you felt the need to call up the whole council, I have no choice but to tell everyone what you did." I bring tears to my eyes and take my hands from his.

"I know you cheated on me." Everyone in the room gasped. This was perfect, it explains why I was "moody," why I didn't want to be cognates and gave me an excuse of why I wasn't hanging out with my friends.

Fitz clenched his fists and glared at me when no one was looking but his face switched back to a loving, heartbroken, face in seconds.

"I would never do that to you! I... I love you."

Everyone watches us like it was their favorite romantic movie to watch.

"Are you sure? Because it sure didn't seem like that when you were making out with Stina."

Fitz jaw dropped. He seemed give up his sad facade as he stood up and pointed an accusing finger at me. "SHES LYING! I WOULD NEVER DO THAT!"

"Oh really? Then-"

"THAT'S ENOUGH!" We all look over to Emery, who held his head in his hands.

"Miss Foster, we know this isn't true and need you to stop playing games and tell us what really happened."

Fitz smirked at me as I scowled.

"You were missing all day last weekend on Saturday. Your parents told us you got in a fight with them, you were up in your room, but by the next morning your bodyguard has confessed you weren't there for a short period of time."

My mouth runs dry as I search for an excuse.

You also didn't go to the healing center for your check up, and as soon as school was back in session, you quit with you congrats training. So what I want to know is where you were and why you wont tell anyone."

Everyone stared at me, waiting for an answer. I glance at Oralie. I should tell them. I should protect myself. I should get out of this situation and get it over with. But I can't, I can't leave this baby and Oralie, no matter how much I need to.

"I won't tell you."

Emery sighs and waves over Mr. Forkle. "Go on then. You can read her mind."