Chapter 18

It's been three days since we got back from Aspen.

Ethan and I have been civil. We didn't argue or fight. We've also helped each other in some projects, which was very surprising. Currently I was heading to work because I'm trying to nail down a very important client, Neil Burke, which not only will help in skyrocketing our companies in terms of reputation but will be beneficial as the project is in one of the most central part of the city.Plus, the man has a reputed name--the biggest in the business. If we get this contract  we're set.

 Chris had texted me beforehand asking to meet up which is very strange as we never really hangout together. I hesitantly walked over to him at the restaurant.

"Hey." I smiled at him as I sat on the chair opposite to him.

"Hey, Skylar. I know I called you out of the blue but I just needed to talk to you and I couldn't really say this over the phone."

"Sure, no problem.What's the matter?"

"Last night I asked Em to marry me." Oh ,no. I can predict what she would've said. "She said no."

"Oh, Chris. I'm so so sorry." I held his hand.

"She said she is not sure about us right now as she might have feelings for someone else." I know that someone else. He continued. "She said that the distance has definitely taken a toll on us and I have been very distant. What she doesn't understand is that I didn't mean for all of this to happen. Skylar, I cannot just let her go. Do you think I can win her back?" 

I cannot give him false hope. Em has been unhappy for the past few months so I cannot blame her either.

"Chris, I don't know what to say. What I do know is that this is ultimately Emilia's decision.I cannot do anything, I'm so sorry. Me meddling in between the two of you will only make things worse."

"I understand." He nodded his head, on the brim of tears. I hugged him.

"Take care." With that I walked out.

--*--

"Hi , Emilia. I was hoping you could join me for dinner today." She had picked up after the second ring.

"Yeah, for sure. I need to tell you something really important as well."

"Alright, see you at my place around 8."

"Kay, bye!" She hung up.

As I reached home I gave Madeleine and off to prepare everything myself.

I freshened up and slipped into a pair of jeans and a black cami top.

"Smells really good in here," I turned around and saw Ace. Let's just call it a coincidence that he's here the same night that I invited Emilia over.

"Hey, Ace. Would you like to join me and Emilia for dinner?"

"I'm sorry Skylar, some other day. Ethan and I are heading out for drinks. You guys should come."

"Oh, no. You enjoy your boys night, we can wait for an hour then we'll have dinner."

"Okay then, I'll come back with Ethan in an hour for dinner." I smiled at him.

"Let's go." Ethan walked out in a black turtleneck. I swear even an Abercrombie model is going to fail if they stand in front of him. He was fixing his watch and then he looked upwards, directly at me. He started walking in my direction and kissed my cheek , to put up a  show in front of Ace and then whispered, "Get that jaw up from the floor."

Oh lord, has my mouth been hanging like that since he walked out? I just cleared my throat and backed away as his familiar scent was overwhelming me out of my senses.