12. Nova Rose

Nova (Female P.O.V)

Date: September 30, 2238

We instantly froze in the middle of the tents, covering our ears as the scream grew in intensity. Nina wrapped one arm tightly around my waist, clutching my shirt between her tiny fist as we waited for the screams to stop. My heart rate increased, and my palms grew slick with each passing second.

I don't know how much time had passed, but it couldn't have been more than a minute before silence settled over us, followed by an ominous thump.

"What was that?!" Stacy yelled, appearing behind us.

Immediately upon hearing Stacy's voice, Nina and Aaron untangled themselves from around Troy and me. They ran as fast as their still-growing limbs could to close the distance between them before crashing into their older sibling.

"Whoa!" Stacy exclaimed, stumbling backward at the impact. Instantly Troy's arm shot out to grab her shoulder, steadying her.

She shot a smile in his direction before turning her attention to her siblings.

The emergency alert blared from the speakers as red lights incessantly flashed through the school windows. Immediately Troy, Jax, and I surrounded Stacy and her siblings as people ran past, occasionally bumping into us.

"I don't know. You guys go check it out." Jax answered. "I'll go with Stacy to take Nina and Aaron to the shelter."

"Okay. Keep them safe, Jax." Troy squeezed his shoulder before taking my hand as we joined the crowd, racing towards the front lawn. Our pace was slow but steady as we maneuvered around parents shuffling their kids to safety.

"Oh, my g-" I gasped, clasping my hand over my mouth as we stood among the sparse crowd in a half-circle facing the main building.

"What the fuck happened? Why aren't y'all helping her up?" Troy yelled as he stepped forward, pushing through the crowd with me trailing after him. My eyes locked on Ms. Jacob's, the school secretary, neon pink dress as she laid in the front entrance doorway.

The microphone stand lay a few inches in front of her body as she clutched a hand to her throat. Her light brown tresses were disheveled, sticking out of the high bun she usually kept it in and framing her round face. Her brow furrowed, and lips trembled as she stared up at the only other person nearest her.

"Troy stop-" I muttered, tugging his hand to stop him from continuing forward. I squinted, noticing the blood gushing out from behind Ms. Jacob's hand, staining her dress and pale skin.

"Everyone, stay back!" A raspy voice barked.

Instantly the sparse crowd parted like the red sea allowing him a clear passage. There was no hesitancy as he strolled towards Ms. Jacobs with twelve guys following behind him. They all wore black tactical gear with automatic rifles clutched in their hands. My eyes automatically drifted back to the leader. Well, more specifically, his mouth. I couldn't stop staring at it, waiting for a cloud of smoke to follow after his words.

When it didn't, my eyes shifted to the cut across his right cheek. It was about three inches long and healed over, leaving rough-looking scar tissue on his lightly tanned skin. As his dark eyes scanned the crowd, I turned back toward Ms. Jacobs, not wanting to get caught staring.

"Keep them back!" He growled.

Immediately the men that came with him moved in front of us and aimed their black plastic guns at the girl standing over Ms. Jacobs.

The girl wore a white t-shirt that stopped mid-thigh, and her feet were bare. Her long blonde hair blew in the slight breeze as she kept her back to us. She didn't react to the man's yelling as she kept her focus on Ms. Jacobs as if they were engaged in a staring contest.