Chapter 29 - Zayn

"Yeah, about that.", Liam and Harry look at each other for a second before they both burst out laughing, waking Louis in the process.

I would laugh too, but the painfully cold ice packs are starting to make my hands feel like they're gonna fall off.

Their laughter stops when the sound of ice breaking echoes through the room, three sets of eyes set on me within seconds. All wide and alert.

I place my freezing hands on my hips while raising an eyebrow, "Who beat the salmon?"

Harry raises his hand slowly, the smile still tugging at the corners of his mouth. "That would be me, mom."

I can't help but laugh as well when he called me mom, bringing up an old inside joke. Louis and Harry used to call Liam dad, for obvious, reasons and me for mom. I thought they'd all forgotten about it.

"No, but seriously. Did you really beat him up twice?", I ask in disbelief as I'm moving over to sit in Liam's lap.

There aren't any more chairs here. That's the only reason. I swear.

Liam folds his arms around my torso, resting his chin on my shoulder after kissing my cheek. I lean into him, getting comfortable in his body heat as I wait for an answer.

I notice Louis nuzzling closer to Harry, sighing as he finds a comfortable position. Which is a miracle in itself considering his injuries.

Harry has a fond look on his face as he explains what happened, adding with a smirk, "But Salmon being in a heap in the hallway is thank's to yo boo."

I feel Liam chuckle at the nickname, his chest vibrating against my back.

My chest swells with pride as my stomach fills with butterflies from the image, turning my head to the side to inspect his face for any bruising. Luckily there is none.

"You did that? When I couldn't watch?", I hold my hand over my heart in shock, genuinely upset that I didn't get to see Liam throwing Simon around like a sack of potatoes. "Rude.", I mutter with a pout.

"How about we ask the sack of meat for another round when he pops back in?", Louis proposes, his voice muffled by Harry's chest.

I feel a grin spread on my face at hearing his voice before I shoot out of Liam's lap, hopping onto the bed while being cautious with his injuries. "There he is!", I exclaim, attacking him in a hug. Technically harry too, but he lays there pretending like I didn't just fling myself onto him.

"Hey, hey. Calm down, mate. I'm alright. Do I not look alright.", Louis laughs as I just cling to him, happy tears welling up in my eyes from the relief of hearing his voice.

I knew he was gonna make it, I saw him sleeping earlier. But there's something about hearing his voice that just made this intense wave of gratitude and love wash through me. Resulting in me holding onto him as if it was my last time ever doing so.

"No, you look like shit."

"Rude.", Louis slaps my shoulder with his good arm, his tone light with humour.

I slowly lift myself off him and flop back down on Liam, earning a relief sigh and a choked grunt from my actions. A smirk evident on my face. "Just stating the truth."

"If I wasn't hurt, I would beat your little arse right now, Malik. I hope you know that.", Louis says, both him and harry sitting up on the bed.

The wince of pain Louis let out once he moved, felt like a stab through my own heart. Seeing him in pain physically hurts. It does with anyone I care about.