Prologue

It has been nearly six years since the boys went on hiatus. They've all made a name for themselves as solo artists. Their fans kept supporting them.

From the outside it looked like they were happy. It looked like they were free. But that's not the case.

They might not be as over worked as they were five years ago, but they were all living with a hole in their hearts.

They still had a contract with their old management. One they could not break. This is the contract that have kept them from being free all these years.

-

Harry Styles.

27-year-old pop star.

Two studio albums. One world tour. A movie.

Three Grammy nominations. One award.

The 27-year-old has accomplished a lot in the five years he's been on his own. From the outside it may seem like he's living the best life imaginable. But that's not the case.

He spends his days as Harry Styles, but when the night comes and he's just Harry, that's when the hardships, regret and bad memories come to torment his tired mind.

Harry spends most of his nights alone in his home or a hotel bedroom accompanied by a bottle of vodka to quiet the storm always brewing in his brain.

In the beginning he tried to replace what he once had. But when that didn't work he made the burning liquid his new best mate. But not even that could fill the void his three brothers and one, true love left in his broken heart.

The one thing Harry has to hold on to is the promise that he one day will be reunited with the others again. No matter how damaged their relationship is.

He will always be his home.

-

Zayn Malik.

28-year-old pop star.

Zayn left the band march 25th 2015 for his own mental health.

Since then he's released three albums.

He dated Gigi Hadid. Even had a child with her. From their Instagrams and his interviews, they seem like the perfect couple. It looked like Zayn got his happy ending. He didn't. at first it might have felt like it. But as time passed on, he realised he wasn't happy.

Zayn has gotten so much hate from the age of 17. Being under a toxic management that nearly drove him over the edge. Zayn leaving his brothers back in 2015 was him clawing himself back to safety. But now he's standing dangerously close to the edge. Again.

Zayn broke up with his fiancée along with One Direction in hopes that once he left the band, he'd be free. Free to be who he is. Do what his heart desired most. He knew it was only a matter of time before the others would come to the same conclusion he did. Then they'd all be free.

But that wasn't the case. The others were all still bound by the very same contract that left them crushed. There was only so much difference the hiatus made. But it seemed nothing could mend his relationship with the others, nor his broken heart.

Zayn was holding on too the hope that he one day would get to make peace with his best mates, even if in their eyes, he's not theirs anymore.

-

Niall Horan.

27-year-old pop star.

Two studio albums.