Part 38 DRYAD

"Doris, are you alright?" I quickly come to my senses and rush to help the mermaid. I was the luckiest one because the shockwave threw me right into the rocking chair. The mermaid is sitting on the floor holding her head. She did not answer, staring into space. "Let's get out of here together," I put my hand on her knee. "You've been brave enough for this crazy week. We will return to your pond and forget about everyone! I will make a tent nearby, and we will live like before, just you and me," I try to stroke her beautiful black curls, but she painfully slaps my hand.

"Did you get hit in the head, Juni? What were you hoping for after what you have just said to Marina? Maybe you were hoping that we would hold hands like I did when you were little, and we would live together? Are you out of your mind? There is no "us" anymore!"

"This damn girl will ruin your life!" I desperately appeal to her mind. The hand she hit still hurts, even though she didn't hit as hard as she actually could.

"You just ruined my life! Get out of the way." The mermaid stands up slightly staggering. I want to hug her and say something else, but I feel I've signed a death warrant on our relationship. "And as for you, bitch," Doris turns into a mermaid in one powerful wave. Her blackened eyes are incinerating Vera, who is already up and shaking off some dust and shards of glass from her white garments. The witch tenses, her black aura is gathering into thick lumps all over her body.

"I can see, dear friend, that you want to kill me... as you promised, but I have to tell you that your baby human didn't mind at all when I flirted with her and licked her tender lips..."

"Shut up," the mermaid growls, showing her sharp teeth. "And, please, stop shaking, don't wet yourself and your pretty suit, witch. Relax, I'm not going to kill you," Doris says, calming down a little, although she looks intimidating.

The witch clenches her teeth, but the aura does not relax: she's ready for the fight. There are three of us against her alone, but knowing the power of the enraged undead I doubt our victory, "Let me know why?" Vera brushes her hair back from her forehead with an indifferent gesture.

"I know how to be grateful," Doris replies quietly. "You three have done a lot for me. Thank you," she places her crossed palms to her chest in a universal token of gratitude that can also be a sign of "farewell" to many creatures. "On this, our paths diverge forever."

I can't believe she did it. I can't believe some human girl just ruined my strongest and longest and most beautiful relationship.

"Doris wait, don't do that!" I want to run after her, I want to hug her and beg her on my knees to stay, but Alex puts his pale hand on my shoulder, and Vera is placing hers on the other.

"Juniper, you don't need to rush this," Alex says calmly.

"Give her some time. She will soon come to her senses," Vera gently whispers in my ear, causing a strange exiting sensation throughout my body. "There is a time for everything. Learn to be patient. You are still a very young dryad to understand how the world really works and how complex and unpredictable relationships are."

"But she's running to the girl in her mermaid form! Humans could see her and do something with their rectangular thingies!"

"Doris shouldn't be your concern right now. Besides, the girl is waking up faster than I thought," Vera brushes off an invisible speck of dust from my shoulder.

"Are we preparing "the nets" again?" Alex sighs listlessly. To my relief, he puts his hand off my shoulder. "Devil, so much fuss with this baby girl."

"The nets?" I echo in horror. For a second, I thought that they wanted to catch a mermaid just like that terrible human man who used to catch inexperienced merfolk and sell them into slavery and for other disgusting pleasures. I remember her face and her fury: I've never seen a mermaid kill a human with such joylessness.

"We are going to hunt the Goddess, otherwise someone else will do it for us! I don't want to share such a sweet ace card with anyone! Let's go dryad, I'll show you how real witches hunt!"