iv. How To Find Your Dragon

renegadeschapter four

renegades
chapter four

"All right, let's try this again."

Morning arrived, and we were back at the arena. Much like yesterday, everyone stood around with their dragons and the four of us students stood in a line in the centre. Expect this time, Hiccup and Toothless were amongst us, and hopefully, no Berserker ship would interrupt us.

I felt eyes on me, and I glanced over. I arched a brow at Hiccup, who immediately averted his gaze. He looked apologetic and I inwardly sighed. I thought I should assure him that I'm okay, (eye roll), but not now. Not when Gobber was adamant on getting out his speech he prepared for yesterday he was unable to complete.

I don't even think a Berserker ship will interrupt him this time (unless they wanted a hook to the stern).

"So!" He gestured his book dramatically at the four of us. "Welcome to the new and improved Dragon Training━the new School of Dragons, if you will. Here, you will find a dragon, train it, and defend Berk against any enemies. Be grateful. I could have chosen anyone but I chose you four knuckleheads."

I don't know what I felt, but I think grateful wasn't one of them.

"You're fellow dragon riders have been kind enough to help teach. So show them some respect." Gobber threw his meaty arm back at the older teens. "You'll learn something specific from each, I'm sure━" was that sarcasm? "Fishlegs and Meatlug will be your theory teachers," the pudgy Viking gave them all a nervous smile and wave, pink to the face. "I feel sorry for you all." Fishlegs gaped, a little offended. "Hiccup and Toothless are happy to teach you all your flying business. He's a very busy Viking, so be thankful. He's here instead of actually going to work━" he shook his hook at Hiccup and the chief's son winced, laughing anxiously. "Astrid and the Twins will be your tactic teachers ..." Gobber paused at the sight of the Twins not listening, again. "Well, Astrid will be your battle-tactic teacher, as well as your racing coordinator. Revna will hold lesson in my forge, thank you very much, for all of your tailor and alchemy needs ... not that you'll need any of it." He moved onto to Snotlout. "Here comes my personal favourite: Fireball Frenzy!" The older Jorgensen puffed out his chest proudly, arms crossed in front of Hookfang. "Where Snotlout will teach you and your dragon to aim straight and shoot straighter!"

We nodded, knowing better to interrupt Gobber's flow. However, Clueless held up a finger in question. Gobber stopped, and glanced at him, annoyed. "Yes, Clueless?"

"Um ... sorry to interrupt, but I was just wondering what ... um ... your role here is?"

"My role?" Gobber pointed to himself. Clueless lowered his finger to his lips, rather confused. (As always). He didn't seem to understand the offense Gobber had taken that he didn't even know. "Well, Clueless!" Oh, dear, I thought, we're going to be here all day. "I'm going to teach you all how to survive! You may learn your flying and your theory, but it's with me you'll learn how to keep yourself alive in the wilderness."