chapter four

Bradley Stevens

"Captain?!" I shrieked.

Connor rolled his eyes from the driver's seat, "C'mon Brad. He's not that bad you just need to warm up to him."

"Bu-But he's so.... rude!"

Connor laughed, looking over at me. "And you're rude too... Should I base your position on the team off of that too?"

I groaned, "Okay fine. But like, how? I don't get it, where I'm from our captains were always the most welcoming guys on the team."

He shrugged, "Well this city isn't your stomping grounds anymore, you're starting from square one."

Sighing, I looked out the window to see the fresh layer of snow on the trees and down the road ahead of us. Waiting to be drove on.

I twirled my damp hair around my finger, my thoughts of my new team lingering in the back of my head. Our first practice went good, meeting most of the guys and running through drills; working to my greatest capability.

I have to say, even I was impressed with my work ethic on the ice today.

"-Bradley, are you listening to me?"

I snap out of my thoughts looking over at Connor, "Sorry. What were you saying?"

"I said I'm having some of the guys over tonight to watch the game, are you gonna come hangout with us in the theatre; get to know them better?"

We pull into the long driveway of my new residence for the next few months or so.

"Uhh... yeah I guess I'll pop downstairs, will A-"

Connor rolls his eyes, "Brad, he's apart of the team and he's one of my close buddies. Yes, he'll be there."

The vehicle came to a stop and he turned off the engine, I gave him a sour look; not surprised he knew exactly what I was going to say.

"Don't give me that look, Brad. You're gonna have to get along with him at some point, you are teammates after all."

••••

You are teammates after all.

My head still spun solely based off the fact that a human being that sexist and rude could possibly hold a leadership role on my new team. I just couldn't believe it.

As I took my hair out of the ratty bun it has been in all day, my phone rings on the nightstand behind me.

Jake Stevens. Flashes on the phone in front of me.

A smile widens on my face as I bounce onto my bed, picking up my phone.

"JAKE!" I shout into the phone, nothing more exciting then your twin brother contacting you after being the furthest away from one another that you have ever been before.

He laughed on the other line. "Hey Brad, how are you?"

I continued to fill him in about my first 24 hours in Minnesota; skipping the part about the ignorant captain who has nothing but rude things to say.

"So how's packing for Canada?" I questioned, biting into a chocolate bar that was sitting on my dresser; courtesy of Lisa.

"About that-" Jake laughed nervously, "What? What am I missing?" I nearly shouted, my hair stood up.

"I got offered a spot on a Swedish team... in Sweden".

"You- wha- what???" I shout again, "Why didn't you tell me?"

Jake laughed, "Brad, they just offered me this morning. You and dad are the first to know."

I smiled ear to ear, "Oh my god, that's amazing!" Gasp. "Oh my God. What are you gonna do?"

He sighed, "Brad I'm gonna take it. It's an amazing opportunity."

"Well ya, no shit! But... what about dad?"

He sighed again, "He told me to go.. alone. He's okay with it, he said he has friends here and that he only wants me to do what's best for me."

A tear rolled down my face, "Jake, you know he's just saying that. Why wouldn't he come with you?"

"Bradley... we're 19 almost turning 20, we need to be realistic here. Dad will be okay by himself; I need to explore on my own, just as you are."

Tears fell down my face, "you're right, you're right.... Well, I gotta go here-" I lied. I couldn't bare to talk to him anymore.

"Alright, I love you Brad. Kick ass over there, I'll keep you updated on Sweden."

"Bye, Jake. Love you." Click.

My head spun a million miles an hour.

My brother. Moving to Sweden... it was almost too good to believe.

But this would be the first time my dad would be alone. Like, really alone.

Tears openly fell off my face into my lap where a soggy chocolate bar sat. A few knocks went on my door and I quickly wiped my tears away, setting my phone on my nightstand.

"Come in."
•••••