apollo, the spy.

Asteria and Michael Clifford were definitely not your usual father daughter relationship.

One day, they would be fighting. Screaming at each other at the top of their lungs because god forbid Asteria be a teenager and be out of line. And then, the next day, they'd be fine.

Asteria Clifford was your everyday quiet girl. She wouldn't speak that often, unless she felt the need to insert herself in a conversation.

She didn't want to fight with her dad as much as it seemed, but what could she really do? She had to defend herself somehow.

75% of their relationship was Michael being angry about something that could've been solved if he had just taken the softer approach. The 25% left were the two talking because they were forced.

And let me tell you, Apollo Clifford was sick of it.

His green eyes darted between Asteria, who shouted at her father to defend what she'd been doing that night, and Michael, who shouted at her for it. He watched with annoyance in his eyes.

Apollo knew his father a lot better than anyone.

Michael Clifford wouldn't admit this even if he were about to die, but whenever someone ever mentioned his late wife, he would freeze. No matter if he were driving a car.

And if you had asked about the very day she died, he would look at you like you were a ghost. He remembered the sobbing of the then, very young Asteria. The sobs and cries he heard coming from her mouth.

Michael was well aware of how fucked up he was in the parenting department. Considering the amount of times Ashton shouted at him for it, or how often Luke held the crying Asteria while he shouted.

Asteria was a little different. She didn't remember the night her mom died— she read somewhere that whenever you have something traumatic happen to you, your mind blocks it out and you forget it happened.

She believes that's what happened.

Asteria cares for her family a lot.

If Michael was having a bad day, she would hug him rightly and make sure he was okay. If Apollo had someone be mean to him, she seriously considered asking the kids name. If her uncles had a bad day, she would do something they enjoyed. Whether it was Ashton baking in an apron, or it was Luke driving around the island with windows rolled down, or maybe it was Calum— going to the animal shelter and trying to find a dog for him.

He really wanted a dog.

As time went on, she seemed to notice how little people did for her on bad days.

"I am sick!" Apollo said harshly, stomping like a child into the living room, causing attention to him. "I am sick of my dad and sister hating each other. It's annoying!"

Apollo stomped in front of Ashton, Luke and Calum who seemed to all glance at each other, wondering where this outburst came from. Luke cleared his throat.

"Come here, kid," Luke said, patting the spot next to him. Happily. Apollo sat down next to Luke and leaned into his embrace. "How about... if we all come up with a plan to fix these wrong doings, will you help?"

And that is how the plan became real. It was a simple, yet reasonable plan. Apollo listened amazingly, taking in every word, nodding and shaking his head at every question.

"Got it." Apollo nodded firmly. "I will go talk to dad about Asteria, say very heart throbbing things, and hope it works."

Luke smiled like a proud uncle. He ruffled the hair on Apollo's head and said, "That's my boy! I knew you could do it."

"Go knock some sense into your dad, bud." Ashton patted Apollo's back as he ran past.

Apollo ran up the staircase as fast as his little legs could take him and found himself in front of his dad's bedroom door. The door was slightly opened and you could see Michael from there.

Ashton, Luke and Calum followed around the corner. Once Apollo entered the bedroom and shut the door, they instantly cupped their hands against it.

"Dad?" Apollo said.

Michael looked to where the voice came from, taking the glasses from his face. He smiled. "Yeah?"

"I have a question." Apollo said in a light, gentle voice.

Michael patted the stool next to him, signaling for Apollo to sit. Apollo got up on the stool and prepared for the best acting of his life.

"Is Asteria okay?" Apollo asked.

Michael's eyebrows shot up and then together; slightly alarmed. He studied Apollo's face for a moment before saying. "What do you mean?"

"Mate," Luke whispered painfully to Calum as they listened in on the conversation. "You are elbowing my neck."

"How can I be- oh," Calum moved his elbow. "Sorry."

"I don't know," Apollo said, frowning slightly. "It seems like you don't like her. Why don't you like Asteria, dad?"

Michael frowned himself too. "What are you talking about?" He attempted a small laugh and ran his hand through Apollo's hair, "I love you and your sister equally. Why are you asking? Where did you get this from, Apollo?"

"You two always fight." Apollo declared. "We never fight. What's so different about us than you two?"

Michael swallowed thickly and shifted in his seat uncomfortably. As Apollo watched, a small smile threatened to enter his face— It was working.

"How about this," Michael said, a small smile entered his face. "I will speak to your sister when she gets home."

"Really?" Apollo clapped vigorously, jumping up and down in the stool. He lunged forward and threw his arms right around his dad. "Thank you!"

Michael said goodbye to his son as Apollo ran out of the room, beaming happily. As the boy turned the corner of the hallway, he saw his uncles standing there. They proceeded to give him a thumbs up and gave him ice cream as an award.

That same night, when the sun was setting and the crickets began to sound, Michael sat on the ouch and waited for his daughter to arrive home from her job. It was nearing 9:30 pm as his leg bounced anxiously.

Asteria, groggy and tired from work, pulled into the driveway and leaned back in her seat when her car was off. She flickered her eyes up to the living room window and noticed the light was on. Her eyebrows flew together and she pondered about who would be awake.

Asteria locked her car and entered the house through the garage door. She didn't really expect to see her dad on the couch, bouncing his leg. She narrowed her eyes. "Dad?"

"Sweetheart," Michael stood up at the sound of her voice. "Hey. How was work?"

Asteria set down her bag on the kitchen counter in front of her and she blinked. "Oh, um." She hesitated. "It was alright. How was yours?"

"Yeah, it was fine." Michael nodded, shoving his hands in his pockets as he approached the other side of the counter. "Can we talk, Asteria?"

Asteria felt her heart slightly drop. What did I do now? She thought.

She leaned back against the counter behind her. Her dad's arms folded together after retreating from his pockets and he looked conflicted.

"Look," Michael rubbed his face. "I— I realize that lately we haven't been getting along, and I realize a lot of it is my fault. I get that now."

Asteria paused.

"I noticed how awful I've been acting and how I also have been acting like a child, and I'm sorry. You don't deserve the treatment I give you daily and I'm sorry." Michael said, looking his daughter in the eyes. "I am really sorry.