An Unlikely Friend

Start from the beginning

"I'm alive. If you didn't know, I'm to stubborn to die." Death nodded, it was true. He turned to look at the little frost imp before back at the body. There wasn't many people who willingly spent time with Death or any of the reapers. He turned back to the boy he had seen alone so many times. 

"Here's the deal..." Jack looked up at the man who was looking down at him with arms crossed. He raised his eyebrow at the serious look on the man's face. 

"If any reapers see you, they are going to think you need to be taken to the other side and they will call upon a family member to try to help you move peacefully. Obviously, I can't let that happen and your need to join the family would be to strong to keep you straight. You're going to stick with me while you are stuck like this: 1, so a reaper doesn't get you and 2. so I don't get my ass handed to me by the Pooka tribe that has come back." 

Jack nodded. He was totally down with that. He knew that he would never leave his family now but he didn't know what he would really do if Emma showed up. He wouldn't leave his father now. Jack knew that they had passed on, found their next path. He wasn't on that one. He still had things to do here. He still had a family. 

"I have about ten months before I wake up. Manny said I was going to be sleeping for two years." Death nodded. He could work with that. Ten months with Jack Frost around, what could go wrong there? 

----------------------------

one year & four months

Death just watched as a soul was sticking to their families side by their own funeral. Many spirits stuck around till after their funerals, just to see how it went. He would lose track of some souls. The ones who didn't want to leave at all and just wanted to stay. He looked towards the couple that had passed together, old age in their sleep. A true love story. 

What got Death was Jack Frost laughing and standing by them. They had figured out quickly that other passed on souls could see him. The boy had become a sort of helper in a way. Death had many souls over the years never want to cross over and leave everyone behind but with Jack around, he encouraged them to move on. He talked them into knowing that their families would be fine. 

Jack would be waking up eight months. Death knew that when he woke up Jack would still be able to see him but he wondered how the other people of his family would react. It was quite nice having someone around that wasn't uncomfortable around him or scared of him. Death was broken out of his thoughts when he felt a hand on his arm. He turned to see the man and woman smiling at him before moving on, towards the light. 

"Where do you think that goes?" Jack watched the bright door way open as the couple walked away. He never got to close, afraid it would pull him in. He turned to his friend to see the man already looking at the door. Death wasn't as scary as everyone made him out to be. Jack wouldn't give up this friendship when he woke up. Death was like Pitch in a way, misunderstood and in need of a friend. 

"I don't know. An I do not care for either of us to find out." Jack laughed as they turned to see the family of the couple gathering around the graves with smiles and laughing at old stories. Jack felt a slight bit of pain for missing his family but he knew if he went back he would never leave. Death looked at him with a raised eyebrow. 

The man looked around before looking down and rolling his eyes. It was a winter funeral and there was normal snow everywhere. With Jack gone, the snow was just from the climate and Seraphina. There was no special made snowflakes or flurries. It was just snow. They had figured out Jack could hold objects that Death gave him after he picked up a rock to throw at the boy. 

"OW!" Jack shouted as the hard ice hit the side of his face. The pain went away quickly as he looked at his friend. The man was grinning wickedly as he turned, 

"Can't catch me, Frost." Jack gave a mirroring grin back as he shifted his position to get ready to chase. Death had already taken off into the sky as he flew just as Jack could. 

"My Dad's the Easter Bunny, I can definitely go faster than you." Jack chased Death, Death chased Jack. It was a game that distracted the boy more and more from the fact he missed his family. It was a game that distracted Death from the fact everyone else in the world didn't really care for him that much. 

---------------------------

jack made a new friend, and only Jack Frost could make even Death play a game of tag. 

tomorrow's the day guys, I graduate high school. it's really just shocking that I made it this far, I seriously went through a time where I didn't think I would. i want to thank everyone reading this, honestly, for continuing to read it and voting on it and feedback. It means so much.