CH16 - Giselle

Mid December 2012

3rd POV

Club practice ended early, so instead of volleyball lying around the gym floor, they were occupied by sheets of paper, stacks of books, and bags across the room.

With the winter break approaching soon, it also meant that the second term exams were imminent.

The 3rd years were sitting on the floor in a corner with their handbooks open atop a bench.

The second years huddled near the exit, skimming through each other's notes while the first years lay on their stomach in the middle of the gym as they answered the difficult questions in their workbook.

Though a sophomore, Celeste sits between the 3rd year duos Matsukawa and Hanamaki. Her best friends were right across the opposite side of the bench.

Tooru had long ago finished studying and was bored to death and instead was watching an English show without the Japanese subtitles. Other than Celeste, he came second to being the most fluent one in the language amongst the volleyball team.

On the other hand, Hajime was busy tutoring Hanamaki with calculus, using volleyball as a reference to make it more exciting and straightforward to understand. Though the pink-haired outside hitter was bright enough at other subjects, advanced mathematics was not his strongest suit.

To the surprise of his kouhais, Matsukawa was quite intelligent and always in the top five of the class. Tooru, Hajime, and the student body president being the academy's top three excellers.

Suffice to say, all four third years were great at sports and excelled in their studies.

The same can be said with the blue-eyed second year as she quickly solved the questionnaire in her biology workbook, having a remarkable aptitude for the stated subject.

Yahaba broke the concentration in the atmosphere when he called for Celeste across the room. "Yanai-san, our class pres wants to know if you're still alive."

All eyes were on the girl, but she only tilted her head in confusion.

The 2nd year pinch server shook his phone in gesture, and the volleyball manager looked at her phone she set to silent earlier on.

"Eek!"

"Everything good?" asked Hajime.

"I got 10 missed calls from her." She stated apologetically.

"Does she need you for something?" Hanamaki chewed on the straw of his canned coffee.

"She probably wants to check on my progress for the upcoming winter festival."

"Oh yeah, you're your class's representative." The captain chimed in.

Celeste hummed in response and quickly sent a text to her class president.

"Are you performing solo?" Matsukawa tapped his pencil on the bench.

"Hai! I'll be doing an Act I variation on Giselle."

"What's a variation in magnetic?" Kunimi mistakenly thought of a different Kanji.

"No, not 'jise'. Giselle as in Ji-ze-ru. It's a Western name that means pledge, but that aside, Giselle is the main character and also the title name of a classical ballet."

"Ohh, you're dancing, Yanai-san?" An excited libero asked.

"Yes! I haven't danced a full routine in a while, so I'm oddly nervous this time."

"We'll cheer you on, manager-san!" Kindaichi encouraged.

Celeste smiled happily, "I'd appreciate that, everyone."