I held my flower to my chest as Gabrielle set the vase on my little table.

"I think my mom loved her garden. Kind of like you. Sometimes I remember her big curly hair and an orange bandana in it, with flowers everywhere. Big violet ones." My heart slowed to a painful lug. "But I don't know if they're memories or dreams."

Gabrielle took my other hand. "They're pieces of you. They're real."

I twirled my flower as the evening sun streamed through the windows and hit the petals. They glowed lavender gold.

Squeezing my hand, Gabrielle said, "I thought we could talk about something." I raised my head. "Don't worry, it's not bad, and it's not about Lukas."

I gulped. "Okay."

"You have our full support in this," she began, "but we'd like you to do something for us as well."

"You want the other half of my liver?"

Gabrielle narrowed her eyes playfully. "No, no. Enzo and I were talking, and we think it would be nice for you to speak to someone. Starting in a few weeks maybe."

I pulled my hand from hers. "What?"

She took a breath. "You're a brick wall, honey. No one can be happy and open without offloading every now and then. We're not going to force you into anything, but we strongly suggest it."

"I don't need therapy," I stated. "I'm not insane."

"Kareena, there isn't an adult in this world who wouldn't benefit from a little help. To talk to someone without judgment. They're like professional listeners. Rue has been seeing someone since we lost Jeremiah. I've seen someone since I lost my father long before."

"Rue..." I shook my head. "She never told me."

"Only your father and I know, but she allowed me to tell you. It helps her to know she can talk to someone other than her family. She kept everything inside when she was a child." A sad smile found Gabrielle's lips. "She thought her sadness was contagious, so she didn't want me to see her cry."

I clammed up. The thought of therapy was scarier than the surgery.

"Kareena, do a little research. Its connotation isn't what you think. Wouldn't it be nice to talk to someone like Doctor Saqui every now and again?"

"Dad doesn't like him."

"You do, and that's what's important. You only have to think about it for now, okay?"

We both turned when my door opened.

Rue Williams had looked better.

I returned my little flower to the rest. Rue shuffled over in sweats and an old soccer shirt with long sleeves. She was still wearing that medal, and the chain, and her braids were pinned back revealing her bare face.

As Rue sat at the end of my bed, Gabrielle stood to leave, saying she was going to go track down my father.

"Luke is here," Rue said as soon as the door closed, fiddling with her hands.

"I know."

Luke was air-lifted here a few days ago. Dad tried to force me to see him, but I refused. Doctor Saqui had my back, which only made dad more opposed to his presence.

"You go to therapy?" I blurted. Rue nodded. "And it's...fine?"

"Makes it all...lighter."

"That wouldn't be horrible," I admitted. Rue stared at her chewed fingernails, picking the skin around them.