"I think I perform well, yes."

"How about the rest of your team?"

"Hmm, I think they're good too."

"So, is performing well and being good at playing volleyball will guarantee you to win?"

The boy did not know what to say and only stared at Celeste who looked at him with genuine kindness and without judgement.

"Nothing is ever certain. A player can put in a lot of hours, sacrifices, and hard work. That may give one a sense of assurance but once you're on the court playing, the balance is tipped. You may lose; you may win. You will not know until the last whistle blows." Tobio only gaped at her short speech, and when he did not respond, Celeste continued.

"You're certainly a great setter, Kageyama-kun, but so is Oikawa-senpai. Even so, you're both diamonds in the rough that require more polishing." The boy only nodded his head in understanding. "Just know that no matter the results, I am wholeheartedly vouching for both teams." She finished.

When Celeste told him about her reasons for attending Karasuno he was not the least bit troubled or disturbed. In fact, he was quite delighted that someone took an interest in him, not only as a volleyball player but as a person.

No matter how selfish the girl's purpose was, they were on reasonable grounds. Was he being bias because of his growing feelings for her? Maybe.

"Arigatou, Yanai-san." The boy bowed lightly, a small tint of blush on his cheeks. "Always happy to help." The girl responded with a soft smile, and they both walked towards their team with idle chats.

Across their side of the court was a certain chocolate-eyed boy staring daggers at Karasuno's dark-haired setter. "Look, Iwa-chan, some brat is flirting with our Ce-chi. How about we bury that manx now? Less trouble for later."

"Stop being so immature. All I see is a casual conversation. Just focus on your stretches, childish-kawa!" Tooru only responded with a 'tsk' but proceeded to do as Hajime said.

~

*Celeste's POV*

*After the toss-coin, it was determined that Karasuno would be starting off the game, and as per the rotation, Kei is the one to serve. Once the ball flew towards Seijoh's court, Akira received it with ease and passed it to their Captain. The wing spikers, Hajime, and Issei followed suit so it was undetermined whom Tooru would set the ball to. Just as our Karasuno's front zone was ready to block, Tooru did an unexpected but superb setter dump and scored the first point for his team.* (S1 E19-Conductors 18:30)

The whole gym was stunned for a moment, impressed by Seijoh's captain setter's magnificent display of skills.

I, too, was speechless. His form was beautiful-almost perfection.

I could not suppress a bright smile. This is the first time I'm seeing my best friends play in an official match. Even Hajime's body looked like he was genuinely going to spike the ball. What an excellent decoy.

I felt exhilarated but somewhat guilty. I should be cheering for Karasuno as their assistant manager but it was mentally taxing to do when I adored both teams, quite dearly at that.

The game went on, and Seijoh continued to exhibit impressive plays. Indeed a powerhouse, and each player was well-rounded.

Even though Karasuno struggled, they still managed to keep up and scored the second set. They may not be on par as their opponent but the crows skills were to be admired.

Before I knew it the game was already at its final set. A deuce at that. This kept on until scores were at 32-31, Seijoh being in the lead.

It was evident that both teams were exhausted, but I could also sense Karasuno's strong determination to score three consecutive points and win against our opponent.

I looked on over at each player, my stares lingering longer on my best friends on the opposite side of the court, then to Tobio and Shoyo, who has become like brothers. My heart throbbed in anticipation and anxiety. I did not want either team to lose. I wanted them both to come out victors.

However, the ticket to Nationals is only given to one team.

A sense of perturbation grew within me as Tobio set the ball to Shoyo, indicating a quick-combo. On another day, it would have been a guaranteed point gain. But not today because it was blocked marvelously as if Seijoh expected it.

Karasuno rushed to try and save the ball, and I held my breath as everything moved in slow motion. It was as if the world stopped and the only thing alive were the ball and the volleyball players on court. One side hoping for a drop, the other fighting to keep it up.

I watched in mixed horror and delight as the ball ever so slowly, as though ridiculing the defeated, fell with a deafening thud on one side of the court.

That sound echoed and sounded differently on either teams. It felt like a door of opportunity was pushed open to the cyan court, whilst to the orange court, it felt like hopes, dreams and hearts shattered all at once.

Just then, a whistle was blown signaling the end of the game and as if on cue everything moved in it's normal pace.

I was frozen in place not knowing how to react. I felt happy but sad, delighted but not.

My best friend's won, but my team lost.

After a moment of recovery, my body moved on its own yet my brain wandered mindlessly. After giving my warmest congrats and well wishes to Tooru, Hajime and their team, I quietly walked behind the dispirited team of crows.

The rest of the day went by depressingly slow for the Karasuno's and no words of encouragement nor cheers were enough to elevate their mood.

~~~~~