"That can't be good," muttered Elijah.

Freya bolted to the table. "My early warning system," she said slowly. "I think a New Orleans witch is trying to meddle with one of you."

Klaus grunted. "Lucien has the new Regent at his beck and call. It's me he's coming after."

There was a crackling sound, and they turned to where portraits of Klaus, Elijah, and Rebekah hung on the wall. Rebekah's portrait was engulfed in flames, and the color drained from Freya's face as she realized what it meant. "No," she whispered. "He's going after Rebekah."

"Oh, bloody hell," snapped Klaus, putting his hand on his forehead. "Lucien thought that I would have come charging into his lair on a suicide mission by now, and when it didn't work, he chose this— he wishes to leave us no choice but to confront him."

"Presumably," said Elijah, "he still believes she's at the bottom of the ocean."

Freya winced. "I cloaked all of you, but with the Ancestors working for Lucien, it may take awhile, but if he wants to find Rebekah, he will."

"I'll go get her, then," said Klaus, making toward the door.

"Klaus," said Esmeray, catching him before he could go. "It's not safe for any of us."

"I cannot stand here idly and wait for Lucien to slide Rebekah's bitten corpse down the hall," he told her. "He has already hurt you, and I will not let him hurt my sister."

"Let me go," offered Elijah. "I will retrieve her, and—"

"I moved her," sighed Klaus, making Elijah look at him in disbelief. "What, don't look so surprised. I never did like you two sharing secrets."

When he saw that this did not earn him any laughter, he frowned. "Tell me where she is," Elijah beckoned, "unless you expect me to stay here and leave our sister entirely defenseless."

"I expect you to prevent Kol from suffering any further loss," Klaus said. "Lucien deserves our collective ire. Today, your grievances are tabled."

He made to leave once more, but Esmeray pulled him back. "Let me go with you," she said. "I can't stay here while you're out there risking your life."

Klaus was clearly not chuffed with the idea of her risking her life for Rebekah. "You need to work on the spell for Davina."

"My specialty is Mind and Healing Spells," she said, crossing her arms. "Not this. Freya's magic is still stronger than mine, and she's got the experience we need here. If she channels Elijah, they can handle the spell without me. You need me there with you. How fast will you be able to get Rebekah back here? I can do a spell to cloak her as soon as we get to her. Otherwise, you're ensuring that Lucien will find her, and he does not get to hurt her after what he did to me."

"Fine," said Klaus, gesturing for her to follow him. "But I'm driving."

"You forget that I can't drive very well to begin with," she chirped happily, not arguing as she trotted outside and climbed into the passenger's seat of their car.

"Not there," he said, motioning toward the back seat. "You're safer there."

"If someone's spying, they'll already know I've left the house," she said, rolling her eyes as he climbed into the car and turned on the engine.

"Will you cease your stubborn retorts for one day?" he said, clearly anxious that she was leaving the house in the first place. "It is not a matter of hiding you. It's simply safer in the backseat."

"You owe me car sex in the future, if I'm ever ready for it," she said as she climbed into the backseat, huffing and putting on her seatbelt as if it was the most impossible task in the world.