Chapter 41

Esmeray's lips were tingling for hours afterward.

She wasn't sure how long she remained on the ground in Klaus's room, covering her face and giggling. She had texted Damon, and he responded with a kissy emoji and an eggplant emoji. But from there, time became a blur as she replayed the moment over and over in her head, still able to feel the way he'd held her waist and the way he'd caressed her cheek.

"Rebekah was very appalled," teased Hayley once Esmeray came downstairs, her face red.

"She didn't have to barge in," said Esmeray pointedly, though she was still all smiley. Who cared what Rebekah thought? "Besides, she's seen me with a guy before in a lot more of an intimate context."

"Huh?"

"I mean, she and I had a threesome with my best friend, Damon."

"Oh good lord I can't even imagine being confident enough to have a threesome."

"You are hot as fuck, Hayley. But just to let you know— if you're majorly interested in Elijah, you're never going to end up being in a threesome. He's definitely not open to sharing."

Hayley's cheeks turned red as they walked outside. "Am I really that easy to read?"

"You're too worried about him for you not to be attracted to him. I get it."

"He seems so private though, it's hard to understand what he's thinking half the time."

"Trust me, he's attracted to you. He's too respectful to try and make a move until the baby is out of you, but I guarantee he fancies you."

Hayley blushed. "So, what about Klaus, though? Are you two gonna give my kid a sibling anytime soon?"

"Oh, hell no. I'm not ready to be a mom yet, and I think we should deal with one tribrid kid at a time. Are you really okay with us having a kid of our own, or are you just joking?"

"I expect this baby will need a sibling who gets them. Besides, if you're going to be with Klaus and keeping him calm, I don't think it should be a problem. You said he'll be a good dad. I imagine we can all work together properly."

Esmeray nudged her playfully. "And if you and Elijah get together..."

"Shh, I was kidding..."

"No you weren't! He likes kids and he'd be a good stepdad."

"And I can tell you'll be a good stepmom. This kid won't understand the Cinderella backstory at all... he... or she... won't know what it's like to have an evil stepmother. It'll seem too far-fetched. You'll be more like their fairy godmother."

Esmeray smiled in appreciation of her statement, but stopped and looked up as they neared the fence. On the other side, in the woods, was a familiar wolf that made her grin. "Jackson!"

"Who?" asked Hayley, staring at the wolf with patches of brown, black, and white over his fur.

"My wolf friend who was taking care of me. He must have come to check on me. And I bet he can sense the baby's magic from where he was— it led him here." She made to climb over the fence before she heard someone clear her throat behind her.

She saw an unfamiliar woman approaching them with a smile. "You two aren't supposed to be out here."

Esmeray, who wasn't very happy with this intrusion, glared at the woman and stepped protectively in front of Hayley. "This isn't your house, is it?" she said coldly. "You can't tell us where we can or can't be. Who are you?"

"Sorry," said the witch, holding her hands up in surrender. She was amused with Esmeray's comment. "I didn't mean to scare you. I'm Sabine." She looked at Hayley. "We met. I'm one of Sophie's friends."