Chapter 8

Esmeray was surprised that Klaus actually ignored her.

He hardly looked at her now. He certainly didn't speak to her. She studied and made notes on the spell to help herself understand, and he hardly glanced in her direction even when he heard the pencil scraping against the paper.

Obviously, he was vexed. She didn't care. He could muster up the guts to leave her alone for a day. She kept watching him take out the small wooden wolf and examine it, as if wanting to bash it into her head to grant her the magic she needed for the ritual. He didn't trust her yet, even though the long-awaited day was approaching rapidly.

"I'll be back as soon as I can," said Maddox the following morning after Esmeray had stayed up working on the spell. In the kitchen, Katherine was making coffee, and she watched the witch intently.

"Yes, do hurry," Klaus urged him. "I'm anxious to get out of this body. And if you get hung up, call me. You know how impatient I get."

Maddox nodded and left, and Esmeray looked back at the papers in front of her as Klaus turned to face the main room. "Where is he going?" asked Katherine curiously, though her voice was soft and still riddled with fear. She held out the coffee pot for Klaus, who took it.

"To retrieve me," the Original replied. "So I can get out of this bad hair-do."

Katherine looked confused. "Are you sure that's a good idea, Klaus?"

"Well, the full moon is almost upon us." He reached into his pocket and placed the moonstone down. "I've killed the witch, I have the moon stone, and the doppelgänger is waiting in the wings. Ohh, I am ready to break this curse." He didn't turn to look at the wolf behind him, but added, "And I think that by now, the girl is ready to perform the spell."

Esmeray didn't look at him. Katherine, however, gazed at her, then at Klaus, still not getting it. "And why would you do that here?" she inquired. "There's so many people that would try to stop you."

Klaus looked at her like she was stupid. "Because I have to. It's the birthplace of the doppelgänger."

Katherine frowned. "I didn't realize that was a requirement."

"Well, how could you? You betrayed me and fled England before I could give you the details, Katerina." He stepped forward menacingly. "But... I did find your birthplace and I slaughtered your family. So I guess we're cool. Let's just hope that Elena isn't as stupid as you were."

The vampire gulped. "She won't run. She'll die before she lets anyone that she loves get hurt. She knows by now that the ritual only requires her blood."

Klaus smirked, and looked into Katherine's eyes to compel her. "You can't leave until I tell you to. Make sure the wolf doesn't go anywhere."

He walked out the front door, leaving the coffee pot on the table beside the coat rack. Esmeray and Katherine shared a look, before the hybrid stood and went to get the pot, taking it to Katherine.

"Thank you," said Esmeray quietly. "At least he's leaving me alone."

Katherine just huffed. She didn't seem to like the idea of saying 'you're welcome.' "You're wide awake after staying up all night."

"I don't have my magic. For the first time in awhile, my head feels completely clear this close to a full moon."

"Congratulations," said Katherine sarcastically. "You're finally normal."

Esmeray shrugged. "I wouldn't call it 'normal.'"

"You'll be even less normal if Klaus does help you with your ritual. What do you even intend to do with that? What are the benefits of being a hybrid when you know no one?"