Chapter Twenty-Six: Twilight Sparkle

"Oh dear Celestia," I mumbled to myself, frantically cantering around my home. My horn was working itself overtime; running a brush through my mane, running a brush through my tail, holding a book in front of my face, adjusting little changes I'd made to my appearance...

Tonight was the night of the date, and I was freaking out!!

"Twilight, calm down," Spike told me from a couch. He yawned, and I bristled.

"I can't! You don't understand, Spike, this is a very important night for me and it's really really extra special because I've never gone on a date before, and I don't know how, and the books aren't telling me anything and I-"

"Twilight," said Spike. "Calm down. It's fine. Just be yourself! He-"

"But what if I mess up! I can't be myself...! What if he doesn't like myself?"

"Then too bad for him," Spike sighed. "If he doesn't like the real you than obviously you two aren't 'meant to be' or whatever." He lay his head down and closed his eyes.

I understood his words, they made sense, but that didn't stop my mind from racing faster than my mouth and leaving me blubbering ridiculous nonsense about ruining everything and such.

"You'll be fine."

"No, I won't!"

"Ok, then you won't be fine."

I let out a cry of anger, and threw the brushes and book down. "I... I'm leaving now! Wish me luck!"

"This isn't something you wish ponies luck for, but-"

"Wish me luck!!"

"Ok, ok, good luck."

Ok, maybe I was being a bit overdramatic, but hey, how can you blame me? This was the first date I'd had in my entire life, and... and I was really, really nervous!

What if he thought I was ugly?

What if he thought I was stuck up? Or arrogant?

What if he thought my brains were annoying, and I talked too much?

ARGH!!

I had to stop worrying. If I kept this up, then I'd mess everything up and WE WOULDN'T WANT THAT, NOW, WOULD WE??

Calm down, Twilight.

Twilight Sparkle, you are fabulous and amazing and WILL NOT MESS THIS UP WHATEVER YOU DO.

I took deep, calming breaths before trotting out into the streets of Ponyville.

^^^^^^^^

He was late.

That was all I could think, really.

He was late.

This was unacceptable! A proper stallion did not show up fifteen minutes late to a date, and furthermore not when their date was nervous as hay and hadn't ever dated before!

I shifted awkwardly, looking around. My wings fluttered a bit, and I forced them down.

The Sunlit Diner, said the sign in front of the restaurant. Not very original, if I do say so myself, but it was fine, because I DIDN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT THE NAME OF THE PLACE RIGHT NOW BECAUSE THUNDERCLOUD WAS LATE AND I WASN'T VERY HAPPY

Twilight Sparkle, calm down.

Calm down right now.

I breathed. Five minutes past.