Bonus Chapter - Panic

Author's Note

In celebration of Amazon Prime Video's newest series Panic, I am thrilled to be teaming up with Amazon Prime Video and Wattpad to write this exclusive chapter that puts my characters from this story into the world of Panic!

I hope this chapter intrigues and inspires you to learn more about Panic. Visit the #PanicWritingContest on Wattpad for the chance to put your creative writing chops to the test and learn more about the show!

To find out more about the contest, prizes, and how to enter, check out the #PanicWritingContest here: wattpad.com/AmazonPrimeVideo

Don't forget to watch the series premiere on May 28th, only on Amazon Prime Video, here: http://primevideo.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sucked in a deep breath as I looked up at the plank. The two rusty water towers tore into the night sky. The host was pulling names out of a hat and calling out names one-by-one. I watched as four people walked across the plank to the opposite water tower.

Ava grabbed the sleeve of my shirt. I looked down at her to see her eyes were full of worry. She shook her head as she tightened her grip.

"You can't do it, Hunter," she said. "You're going to get yourself killed."

"Ava, I have to do it," I said. "I'm going to be disqualified from the game if I don't do it."

She shook her head.

"Just forget about Panic," she said. "Who cares about these stupid points. We don't need the money."

"It's $50,000," I said. "We need it if we want to move back to California. I know you hate Carp."

"We all know I hate Crap, Texas," she said. "But I don't want you to die."

"She's right," Leah said.

Leah had Grace bundled up in her arms. Her separation anxiety had not eased over the past year. Finding a babysitter was difficult in this small town, especially one that Leah trusted. I knew that being around a group of drunken teenagers was not an appropriate place for a baby, but Leah insisted on coming with Ava and me.

"I wish I could play instead," Ava said. "I hate this stupid chair."

"I wouldn't let you play anyways," I said.

"Next up: Jacob Kennedy!" the host announced through his megaphone.

Cheering came from the crowd of teenagers. Jacob, a tall gangly student who was always on the honor roll, pumped his fist in the air as he ran over to the ladder. He climbed to the top of the water tower. The host held out his stopwatch.

"You have ninety seconds starting now," the host announced.

The cheering continued from the crowd down below as Jacob walked across the plank. His arms were held out to his side as he carefully placed one foot in front of another. Leah squeezed her eyes shut. She refused to watch any of the contestants play.

Jacob got to the other water tower. The crowd screamed louder. Jacob jumped up and down in excitement before climbing back down to the ground.

"Next we have," the host said as pulled out the next name. "Hunter Wilcox!"

A collection of boos echoed through the night air. There was a similar reaction when I went to jump off the cliff during the first event. Carp was a small town that did not like newcomers. Being the remaining members of the now-infamous Wilcox family made us stick out like a sore thumb.

I pushed my glasses up the bridge of my nose as I looked up at the plank one more time.

"Hunter, please," Ava begged.

"We have watched five people cross it already," I said. "They all survived. The key to Panic is to stay calm."

I leaned down and kissed Ava before walking toward the water tower. The crowd had stopped booing and now it was silent. I stopped when I heard someone clear their throat. Jacob was standing in front of a crowd with his arms crossed over his chest.

"I thought you were already told that this came is not for the new kids," he said. "Why don't you go back to your farm."

"We paid our dollar a day like everyone else," I said. "I have a right to play."

"Panic is our game," a girl behind him said.

I rolled my eyes as I continued walking toward the water tower.

I climbed the ladder. I tried to remain calm, but as I got higher there was more uncertainty setting into my brain. I kept reminding myself that the cliff I jumped off of during the first event was higher than this plank.

There was a loud creak as I got to the top of the rusty water tower. My knees wobbled as I stepped toward the plank. The tower let out another loud creak under my feet as I moved to the edge. This tower could topple over at any moment.

"Timer starts now, Wilcox," the host said through his megaphone. "Remember you more points the longer you take."

I only have ninety seconds, I thought to myself.

The plank creaked even louder as I stepped onto it. Luckily, the air was still and no wind was threatening to blow me over. I sucked in a deep breath as I took my other foot off of the platform.

I knew that looking down was not a good idea, but I could not help myself. Ava had her hands clasped over her mouth. Leah's eyes were closed and she was muttering a prayer to herself.

I was doing this for them. I was doing this so that we could return to California and live a better life.

I took another step on the plank. I needed to do this as fast as possible. I took a few more steps, and I managed to get halfway. I rushed too fast. I stumbled and my knee gave out from underneath me.

I kneeled against the plank, and a gasp came from the crowd. I shook as I tried to get back up onto my feet. I looked down at the plank and tried to gain my balance. My glasses slipped down my face. I tried to wiggle my nose to keep them up, but that only pushed them further down. They slipped off of my face, knocked off the plank, and fell the long way down to the crowd. My hands were stuck to the plank so I could not save them.

My knees shook as I pushed myself up onto my feet. I squinted to see the other water tower come into focus. I held my breath as I placed one foot in front of the other. I did not exhale until I got to the other side of the water tower.

Only two cheers came from the crowd: Ava and Leah.

I hurried down the ladder and made it back to the ground. Many members of the audience were glaring at me. They must have wanted me to either back out of it or fall to my death.

Ava's smile was so big that I could see it across from the crowd. I picked up my pace and weaved my way through the crowd and over to her. I leaned down to kiss her and she wrapped her arms around my neck.

"That was amazing," she said.

"And you two doubted me," I said.

I winked and leaned down to kiss her again.

The second event was done. I needed to make it through the rest of the summer.